none
WMI Filters Folder NOT Found in Group Policy Management Console.

Question

• We have a Small Business Server 2011 Standard Edition install that is Hosting a Domain that was migrated to it from Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. All seems to be working. We have a few problems that we are trying to work on one at a time when this issue was brought to light.

We were trying to push the installation of a client software via group policy and in the process to have it pushed by the server, we had to configure several wmi filters in the group policy management in the SBS 2011.  We opened the console and found that the WMI Filters Folder is nowhere to be found.

We would like to find out what can be the cause and resolution of this problem.  I would like to find out how to get the WMI Filters folder back in the Management Console and be able to create the filters that will help us deploy the client software we need to provide to our users using the group policies.

Has anyone experienced this problem.  Can we just go into the group policy management console and create the object and then import the default filters into that object we created.  The filters were exported from another sbs 2011 standard edition install that has the wmi filters folder in the GPMC.

Need help on this situation.  Have very little experience in troubleshooting GPO's and GPMC's issues.

Thank you

JFM

Sunday, March 01, 2015 11:58 PM

All replies

• Thank you for your prompt response Patris_70.  I had seen that post before.  The problem is this solution does not apply to my situation. 

The issue I have is that the WMI Filters Folder is not in the GPMC at all.  I would be happy to have the Folder and the recreate manually each filter.  In my case I have no Folder or Object.  I figure it may have specific configurations that are created when the policy console is created. 
    I am not sure if I can go into the management console and create a folder and name it WMI Filters. 

That is the issue.   The domain was migrated using SBS Migration from Windows 2003 to Windows Smalll Business Server 2011.

I need to find out if there is a way to get the WMI Filters Object Folder back or find a way to recreate it.

JFM

Monday, March 02, 2015 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

>>I need to find out if there is a way to get the WMI Filters Object Folder back or find a way to recreate it.

Based on the description, we can use LDP.exe to check if the following object is missing in Active Directory:

CN=Windows2003Update, CN=DomainUpdates, CN=System, DC=domain, DC=com

Regarding how to use LDP.exe to view AD object, the following article can be referred to as reference.

How to Use Ldp.exe to View Entire Directory Tree and Locate the Microsoft Exchange Container

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252335

If the object is missing, we can follow the solutions described in the following article to check if the object was deleted and we need to restore it if this is true.

Step 2: Restore a Deleted Active Directory Object

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379509(v=ws.10).aspx

If the object is there, we can check if proper access permissions have been configured for it.

If the object is missing but not deleted, this may be related to the migration process. If this is true, we can ask for suggestions in the following SBS forum.

Small Business Server

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=smallbusinessserver

In addition, regarding migrating Active Directory to SBS 2011 Standard, the following articles can be referred to for more information.

Prepare your Source Server for Windows SBS 2011 Standard migration

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg615494.aspx

SBS 2011 Standard Migrations – Keys to Success

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/07/01/sbs-2011-standard-migrations-keys-to-success.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 9:16 AM
  • Hi,

It's been a while. How is it going? If you need further help regarding the question, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:46 AM
  • I am sorry  Frank  about the delay. I was not aware of your answer.   I will follow up and it will take me a few days to do since it is a remote location and rather wait until close to the weekend to do something about it.

I will give you heads up once I get to use the LDP.exe to see if the WMI Filter Folder (object) is there. 

Thank you for your proposed solution.

JFM

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 12:21 PM