Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Dead Slow in Booting RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

I've a Toshiba L650-x5310 Satellite Series Laptop, and Windows 7 Genuine Home Premium 64 bit installed. Everything went fine till yesterday. I use to update Windows properly. The last update as I remember was a Windows Defender update and after playing FIFA 11 for sometime and in the midst of it, I just killed it and shut down the Laptop. Today evening when I started, I could see that Windows is not properly booting up. It once reached the Desktop with a blank screen, I went for successive reboots and for multiple attempts it stuck on the 'Starting Windows' screen. Finally it booted to the Desktop very slowly and the Task manager showed Non-Responsive Program - Windows messages. I saw no Error messages, but still caught up on the Starting Windows screen. I thought it would be a either a File missing due to a hard kill on FIFA 11 or a corrupted Windows file. 

I've Ubuntu OS as Dual Boot and it works fine, so I don;t think its a HDD error. I attempted Safe mode (loading files - no response), Last Known Good Config mode (not working either - struck at Starting Windows screen), Enable Boot Logging (nothing shown - same screen as earlier). I don't want to re-install the OS. Please advise what would be the best solution. I will try repairing it in the next 2 days as I don't have the DVD with me. 

Thanks,

Vipin

Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you boot into System Recovery Options menu? You can access the menu by turning on your computer and pressing the F8 key before Windows starts. Then select Repair Your Computer.

The Startup Repair would scan your computer for the problem and then try to fix it so your computer can start correctly.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:45 AM
  • Alex, I tried to repair Windows 7 from the DVD. It detected a wrong Windows partition (where Windows is not installed) and it just shown busy (the famous infinite circling !). No other devices seems to be displayed. After this, I found out that the Ubuntu 10.10 I had in another partition is not booting after the Login prompt. So I guess Windows just destroyed everything. What a waste of money x-(

@Microsoft Support : Do you have any suggestions to fix this ridiculous problem ?

Vipin
    Friday, August 5, 2011 10:30 AM