locked
Can't uninstall SP3 RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    For some bizarre reason, there is no option to uninstall SP3 through Add/Remove Programs, and obviously, I can't install SP2 over it.

     

    Does anyone know how to uninstall it a different way, or even manually? Please let there be a way, as my Zune software doesn't work properly, and Office 2007 doesn't work at all!

    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:48 PM

Answers

  •  MightyJordan wrote:
     

     

    The Zune software won't install properly. I can't install the latest update. It keeps coming up with error code: 0x80070002. I had to manually install a previous version to C:\Zune. It works, but every time I boot up, it comes up with the Found New Hardware screen for the Zune. Just a couple of Cancel clicks, and it goes away with the "hardware isn't installed properly". There's no worry about this. Everything on the Zune works fine.

     

     

     

     

    Hi,

    Thanks for reporting the issue.

    Are you observing the issue on the Zune software version available at http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/zunesoftware/download.htm ? Did this install properly on the same machine with XPSP2?

    Also which version did you manually install to c:\zune to make it work?

     

    Cheers!

    Ranajoy

     

     

     

    --------------------------------

    We build XP SP3!

    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:07 PM

All replies

  •  MightyJordan wrote:
    For some bizarre reason, there is no option to uninstall SP3 through Add/Remove Programs, and obviously, I can't install SP2 over it.

     

    Does anyone know how to uninstall it a different way, or even manually? Please let there be a way, as my Zune software doesn't work properly, and Office 2007 doesn't work at all!

     

    Hi MightyJordan,

     

    Please read the message written by Shashank Bansal from Microsoft at this thread below. Thanks!

     

    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=2&SiteID=17&PageID=2&PostID=2586974#2986184

     

    Regards,

    Thomas

    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:47 PM
  •  

    BTW, there is a discussion on Zune software at this thread. Feel free to join in, and rises your voice.

     

    1) http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3020401&SiteID=17

     

    Regards,

    Thomas

    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:47 PM
  • We would like to know more about the functionality loss you are suffering for the Sune software and Office 2007.

    Can you please elaborate.

     

    Thanks

    Shashank

     

    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:00 PM
  •  Shashank Bansal [MSFT] wrote:

    We would like to know more about the functionality loss you are suffering for the Sune software and Office 2007.

    Can you please elaborate.

     

    Thanks

    Shashank

     

     

    Sure thing.

     

    The Zune software won't install properly. I can't install the latest update. It keeps coming up with error code: 0x80070002. I had to manually install a previous version to C:\Zune. It works, but every time I boot up, it comes up with the Found New Hardware screen for the Zune. Just a couple of Cancel clicks, and it goes away with the "hardware isn't installed properly". There's no worry about this. Everything on the Zune works fine.

     

    As for Office 2007, it just stopped working entirely. I already had it installed, but for some reason, it corrupted. I tried repairing it through Add/Remove Programs and using the CD, but it didn't resolve the issue. I tried uninstalling it and then installing it again, but it keeps coming up with an error message saying that it can't be installed (no error codes)

    . I've had to use OpenOffice for now, but I'm going to uninstall SP3 now. I found the uninstall file in the C:\WINDOWS folder. It wasn't in the place Shanshak Bansal mentioned in the thread linked above, but it was in C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB915865$

     

    Wish me luck, guys! *fingers crossed*

     

    EDIT: It didn't work. It gave an error message, saying "The  file is not correct"

     

    Is there any way to manually uninstall SP3 and put in the SP2 files without corrupting the OS?
    Monday, March 24, 2008 11:34 PM
  • If c:\windows\$NtUninstallServicePack is missing from your system, then it means the files were not backed up during installation. This happens due to low disk space and manual choice.

     

    In such cases, System Restore would be the only mechanism we can adopt.

     

    As for the two issues, they have been forwarded to relevant developers and they would look into it.

     

    Thanks

    Shashank

    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:24 PM
  • Thanks for your help, Shashank. I won't be able to sort out this issue, unfortunately. I never had System Restore turned on when I installed the SP3 beta, so I can't revert the changes. I'll just have to wait until the RTM version is released.

     

    Will I be able to install the final SP3 version over the beta one I currently have installed without uninstalling the beta?

    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:59 PM
  •  MightyJordan wrote:
     

     

    The Zune software won't install properly. I can't install the latest update. It keeps coming up with error code: 0x80070002. I had to manually install a previous version to C:\Zune. It works, but every time I boot up, it comes up with the Found New Hardware screen for the Zune. Just a couple of Cancel clicks, and it goes away with the "hardware isn't installed properly". There's no worry about this. Everything on the Zune works fine.

     

     

     

     

    Hi,

    Thanks for reporting the issue.

    Are you observing the issue on the Zune software version available at http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/zunesoftware/download.htm ? Did this install properly on the same machine with XPSP2?

    Also which version did you manually install to c:\zune to make it work?

     

    Cheers!

    Ranajoy

     

     

     

    --------------------------------

    We build XP SP3!

    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:07 PM
  •  MightyJordan wrote:
    Will I be able to install the final SP3 version over the beta one I currently have installed without uninstalling the beta?

     

    MightyJordan,

     

    My advice is to reinstall XP from fresh when SP3 final is released. Trying to install final on top of the beta version? Yes, it can be done but is not recommended.

     

    Regards,

    Thomas

    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Thats is correct.

    Neither is that supported.

     

    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:19 AM
  •  Ranajoy Sanyal [MSFT] wrote:

    Hi,

    Thanks for reporting the issue.

    Are you observing the issue on the Zune software version available at http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/zunesoftware/download.htm ? Did this install properly on the same machine with XPSP2?

    Also which version did you manually install to c:\zune to make it work?

     

    Cheers!

    Ranajoy

     

    Yes, the issue appears on the newest Zune version, 2.3. I can't say if it installed properly on SP2. I upgraded to SP3 before 2.3 came out. I manually installed the previous version to C:\Zune.

    Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:37 AM
  •  ThomasLee wrote:

    MightyJordan,

     

    My advice is to reinstall XP from fresh when SP3 final is released. Trying to install final on top of the beta version? Yes, it can be done but is not recommended.

     

    Regards,

    Thomas

    Why is it not recommend? If installing the final version on top of the beta version, wouldn't it just overwrite the beta files (and corrupted files) with the stable files?

    Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:39 AM
  •  MightyJordan wrote:

    Yes, the issue appears on the newest Zune version, 2.3. I can't say if it installed properly on SP2. I upgraded to SP3 before 2.3 came out. I manually installed the previous version to C:\Zune.

     

    Hi,

     

    If I understand the issue clearly, you have the following scenario:

    1. XP SP2 + Zune (old version)

    2. Install SP3

    3. Install Zune 2.3 --> You are not sure if this succeeds or not

    4. Issue appears with functioning of Zune software

     

    Can you please confirm?

    Any other information about the functionality loss/issue that you could share would be helpful.

     

    Thanks

    Shashank

     

    Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:05 PM
  •  Shashank Bansal [MSFT] wrote:

    Hi,

     

    If I understand the issue clearly, you have the following scenario:

    1. XP SP2 + Zune (old version)

    2. Install SP3

    3. Install Zune 2.3 --> You are not sure if this succeeds or not

    4. Issue appears with functioning of Zune software

     

    Can you please confirm?

    Any other information about the functionality loss/issue that you could share would be helpful.

     

    Thanks

    Shashank

     

     

    Actually, no. I has XP SP2 + Zune (old version), then upgraded to SP3, and then later on, it stopped working, so I tried reinstalling it, but it wouldn't install, so I manually installed it, thanks to a guide I found on Google. Then I tried to upgrade to Zune 2.3, and that won't install at all.

     

    I did manage to downgrade from SP3 back to SP2 earlier today, but I've encountered a lot of issues. I can't install Windows Installer 3.1, which I need to install Zune 2.3. I can't install IE7. Well, I can, but it won't work, along with every other Windows program I try to use. It keeps showing an error message with iertutil.dll in it. I uninstalled IE7, and it's all working again, but I can't install Windows Installer 3.1, like I mentioned earlier. Every time I try to install it, it comes up with an "Access is denied" error message, then it undoes the changes it made, and restarts my PC every time.

     

    Also, I tried running the System File Checker, it encounters some change files, but it asks for the Windows XP Professional SP2 disc. I'm on XP Home. I inserted my Home SP2 disc, but it keeps asking for the Professional disc.

     

    Can anyone help me out with this?

    Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply.

    Can you please confirm us the "old version" of Zune software?

    It seems its failure triggered it all.

     

    Thanks

    Shashank

     

    Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:28 PM
  •  Shashank Bansal [MSFT] wrote:

    Thanks for the prompt reply.

    Can you please confirm us the "old version" of Zune software?

    It seems its failure triggered it all.

     

    Thanks

    Shashank

     

     

    Sure thing. The "old version" was 2.1.888.2

    Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:19 PM
  • Thank you for confirming

     

    It has been forwarded to the appropriate developer who might contact you, if needed.

     

    BTW I assume the "old version" worked before installing SP3. Is that right?

     

    Thanks

    Shashank

     

    Friday, March 28, 2008 8:42 AM
  •  Shashank Bansal [MSFT] wrote:

    Thank you for confirming

     

    It has been forwarded to the appropriate developer who might contact you, if needed.

     

    BTW I assume the "old version" worked before installing SP3. Is that right?

     

    Thanks

    Shashank

     

     

    Yes, that's right. It worked fine with no problems pre-SP3.

    Friday, March 28, 2008 10:24 PM
  • The solution for me was to rename the file: c:\windows\system32\drivers\intelppm.sys to something else, so that the system wouldn't use it and conflict with the ADM one.

    you'll need to boot into safe mode, obviously, to gain access to your file structure.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 3:11 AM