Application Registration RRS feed

• Question

•   I have an application that I need to register on a per pc basis.  The registration key is a .dat file that gets generated based off of a text string provided by the user, but it also pulls some hardware info when it is generated.  Therefore, each computer has a unique key that I cannot capture and make part of the App-V package.  It works on the computer the key was generated on, but not the next one.
      I have talked to the vendor that wrote the application, and he has written a small .exe that will register the app on each computer for me with some provided switches (i.e. /username /registration /destination). 
      Can someone point me to a "how to" to accomplish this?  I imagine that I need to include this .exe in my App-V package, and that I need to edit the OSD to run the .exe with the necessary switches to perform the registration inside the virtual app.  I haven't hit on the right Google search terms yet, so I thought I would ask you folks.

TIA
    Mike C.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 1:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Depending on what it does it could be something like;
    1. A pre-execution script run inside the bubble and then executing the "normal" .exe
    2. A bat-file within the package running the .exe and afterwards doing a check and starting the "normal" .exe.

You could also deploy a scheduled task / script-like thingy on all machines which needs to run it and just make sure that file isn't part of your sequence.

/Znack
    Monday, December 7, 2009 2:15 PM
  • One of my co-workers threw this one at me, and it looks like I will be able to make something work out of here.  Thanks though.

http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2007/10/11/scripting-within-an-osd-file.aspx

• Marked as answer by mhc451 Monday, December 7, 2009 3:31 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:31 PM