none
Calculation Option for this Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    In Project Server 2016  on-prem with MS Project Prof.
    I want  to know ....the delay made on delivery of their specific project...by seeing difference between Finish Dates as below :

[Actual Finish Date] -[Finish Date] 
      Now
    1- Problem - As you know, Normally... if PM put %Complete=100 , then [Normal] Finish Date & F.Duration is copied into Actual F.Date &  Actual F.Duration.

2- Solution - To adjust this behaviour- we enable the 4 checkboxes here.... File->Options -> Advanced -> Calculation Option [for this/all Project] .

3- Challenge -> How can I make sure that PM cannot uncheck this option at their end in MSP. [BECAUSE .... we wanted to know the "Actual F. Date" and not the  Normal FD which gets otherwise copied into Actual FD column]
      For Enterprise Wide Setting ?
    4- There is option to en-force  Auto Schedule option form server settings... but No option for this 4 checkboxes ?
    Calculation option for this Project
    Please advice to handle this requirement as an Organisation Wide deployment of EPM System based on top of MSP 2016/29 platform

• Edited by mafab Thursday, October 29, 2020 12:20 PM Edited for clarity
    Thursday, October 29, 2020 12:07 PM

Answers

• mafab MTS --

To answer your questions, first know that there is NO WAY to prevent a project manager from changing the Project Options settings you indicate.  Probably the best you can do is to specify these settings in each of the enterprise templates that you use with your Project Server system.

My advice for you, however, is to completely ditch the approach you are using.  I recommend that you concentrate your tracking efforts on capturing both the Actual Start date and Actual Finish date of each task.  The simple methodology that I recommend for organizations that want to manually track task progress in the Microsoft Project schedule (as opposed to using the Timesheet page or Tasks page in PWA), is to follow a process at each week's project status meeting.  The process will use the task Tracking table, by the way.

For each task that had work scheduled for last week, the project manager should ask the following questions and then enter the answer given by the team member:

1.  If you started the task last week, what day did you actually start?  Enter this information in the Actual Start field for that task.

2.  If the task is in-progress, how far done are you as a percentage?  Enter this value in the % Complete column.

3.  If you finished the task last week, what day did you actually finish?  Enter this value in the Actual Finish column and Microsoft Project will automatically mark the task as 100% complete.

Given my experience with the tool, I think this would give you more accurate tracking of task progress.  To extend this process a bit, you could also add the Remaining Duration column to the Tracking table.  For in-progress tasks, the project manager would enter the % Complete value and then ask, how many days do you think you have left before completing this task?  Then the PM would enter this value in the Remaining Duration column.

The key to this tracking process is that the PM will NEVER enter a % Complete value of 100%.  Instead, the PM will always enter the Actual Finish date and let the software mark the task as 100% complete.

Just a few thoughts for you Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 29, 2020 7:48 PM

All replies

• mafab MTS --

To answer your questions, first know that there is NO WAY to prevent a project manager from changing the Project Options settings you indicate.  Probably the best you can do is to specify these settings in each of the enterprise templates that you use with your Project Server system.

My advice for you, however, is to completely ditch the approach you are using.  I recommend that you concentrate your tracking efforts on capturing both the Actual Start date and Actual Finish date of each task.  The simple methodology that I recommend for organizations that want to manually track task progress in the Microsoft Project schedule (as opposed to using the Timesheet page or Tasks page in PWA), is to follow a process at each week's project status meeting.  The process will use the task Tracking table, by the way.

For each task that had work scheduled for last week, the project manager should ask the following questions and then enter the answer given by the team member:

1.  If you started the task last week, what day did you actually start?  Enter this information in the Actual Start field for that task.

2.  If the task is in-progress, how far done are you as a percentage?  Enter this value in the % Complete column.

3.  If you finished the task last week, what day did you actually finish?  Enter this value in the Actual Finish column and Microsoft Project will automatically mark the task as 100% complete.

Given my experience with the tool, I think this would give you more accurate tracking of task progress.  To extend this process a bit, you could also add the Remaining Duration column to the Tracking table.  For in-progress tasks, the project manager would enter the % Complete value and then ask, how many days do you think you have left before completing this task?  Then the PM would enter this value in the Remaining Duration column.

The key to this tracking process is that the PM will NEVER enter a % Complete value of 100%.  Instead, the PM will always enter the Actual Finish date and let the software mark the task as 100% complete.

Just a few thoughts for you Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 29, 2020 7:48 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Appreciate your shown approach,
    ... from your last paragraph.... [PM will never enter a % complete value of 100%] ?

How he will never enter a % Complete value ?

if he thinks.... A two weeks long task is finished today, so he will just click on 100, and the MSP will blindly copy the Normal SD/FD into Act. SD & Act. FD column.

As Enterprise system level, how can we manage this effectively...

thanks...

Friday, October 30, 2020 11:39 PM
  • mafab --

When the PM enters an Actual Start date and an Actual Finish date, Microsoft Project will automatically calculate a 100% complete value for the task.  That is what I meant.  If the task started and finished AS PLANNED, then the PM can certainly enter a % Complete value of 100%.  Does that help?  Let us know.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, November 2, 2020 1:10 PM