none
Prevent Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 - GPO using "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows..." not working

Question

• A month or so ago, various Windows 7 machines for my customers automatically started upgrading to Windows 10 without any user interaction. I created a GPO within various Windows Server 2008R2 domain controllers to disable Windows 10 upgrade using the settings for Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update" - Enabled. This is applied at the root of the domain. However, Windows 10 is still being deployed. Is this not applied correctly? I've found other options to do this, but this appears that it should be the simplest way to do this IF it would work. Thanks
    Wednesday, May 04, 2016 2:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description, it seems that the windows 10 ISO has already been downloaded before the GPO taking effect. To check whether the GPO works, we recommend you apply the GPO to a new client and check if the issue persists.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 05, 2016 8:03 AM

All replies

• Just an FYI, I've gone to a machine that upgraded itself today, it has the DisableOSUpgrade=1 registry setting in place. What I find interesting is that I've now had 3 users claim their systems rebooted in the middle of the day when they were working on them since I've applied the GPOs to the various networks. The first time I was doubtful the user didn't click on the GWX icon, but I'm pretty sure the systems are still upgrading themselves.
    Wednesday, May 04, 2016 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description, it seems that the windows 10 ISO has already been downloaded before the GPO taking effect. To check whether the GPO works, we recommend you apply the GPO to a new client and check if the issue persists.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 05, 2016 8:03 AM