Doc to text conversion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I want to convert my .doc files to text, is there any way in open xml to convert that, because when I try in sample program, it says invalid file, even it works for *.docx files

Thanks Rajesh Soni

• Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:26 AM not possible using Open XML SDK
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 7:57 AM

Answers

• The *.doc files are in the old, proprietary binary file format. The *.docx files are Open XML. There's nothing in the Open XML SDK that can assist you with this.

I believe there are tools available (including Word Automation Services, but I believe there are others, as well) for converting from the old file format to the new one. I'm therefore moving your question to the TechNet forum for IT Pros where you're more likely to find people experienced in this task.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by George123345 Monday, May 19, 2014 1:13 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:26 AM

All replies

• The *.doc files are in the old, proprietary binary file format. The *.docx files are Open XML. There's nothing in the Open XML SDK that can assist you with this.

I believe there are tools available (including Word Automation Services, but I believe there are others, as well) for converting from the old file format to the new one. I'm therefore moving your question to the TechNet forum for IT Pros where you're more likely to find people experienced in this task.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by George123345 Monday, May 19, 2014 1:13 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thanks

George Zhao
    Forum Support

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:04 AM
  • Hi,
    I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.
    If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Thanks

George Zhao
    Forum Support

Monday, May 19, 2014 1:13 AM