Stop Windows 10 Anniversary Update RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to stop the Windows 10 Anniversary Update from installing? According to my manufacturer's web site Windows 10 is supported on the Aspire V5-122P but the Anniversary edition is not. With the automatic updates the Anniversary Update has been installed on my computer twice now (taking a couple hours each time) but afterwards my computer has serious lag time or locks up. I then have to revert back to the previous version. Am I going to have to continue doing this or is there a way to stop it? Thank you.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2016 6:11 PM

Answers

• Hi TLNick,

If this is a Home version, this Anniversary update is forced. But Windows update won`t download updates for a "Metered" connection, we could try to configure the network connection as metered as a workaround.
    Settings\Network and Internet\Wifi\Advanced options\Set as metered connection

If you are using a Pro version, we could choose to "Defer feature upgrade".
    Settings\Update and Security\Windows Update\Advanced options\Defer feature upgrade

Or we could try to hide the upgrade.
    Here is a link for reference:
    How to temporarily block the Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 upgrade
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/3105827/microsoft-windows/how-to-temporarily-block-the-upgrade-win10-anniversary-update-version-1607.html

The later two options are just used to temporarily block the upgrade. We`d better to ask for help from the device manufacturer support for Windows 10 anniversary update compatible drivers.

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:12 AM

All replies

• Hi TLNick,

If this is a Home version, this Anniversary update is forced. But Windows update won`t download updates for a "Metered" connection, we could try to configure the network connection as metered as a workaround.
    Settings\Network and Internet\Wifi\Advanced options\Set as metered connection

If you are using a Pro version, we could choose to "Defer feature upgrade".
    Settings\Update and Security\Windows Update\Advanced options\Defer feature upgrade

Or we could try to hide the upgrade.
    Here is a link for reference:
    How to temporarily block the Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 upgrade
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/3105827/microsoft-windows/how-to-temporarily-block-the-upgrade-win10-anniversary-update-version-1607.html

The later two options are just used to temporarily block the upgrade. We`d better to ask for help from the device manufacturer support for Windows 10 anniversary update compatible drivers.

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:12 AM
  • vga compatible FOR aspire V5-122P http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5413?b=1

Friday, November 18, 2016 12:34 AM
  • Windows update runs auto with most/all operating systems,one must manually open update,edit the selections,

edit to inform of new updates,but not to install auto..Also,R.click my computer/properties,locate update settings,

remove auto update.Update is needed,but having it set to inform adm user account before it updates is a option...

Friday, November 18, 2016 3:10 AM
  • Thank you for this information.  I had already setup my internet connection to metered but somehow the update eventually downloaded and I delayed it as long as possible before having to install it again to turnaround and go back to my previous version of windows.  I did just download and hide the update with the wushowhide so we'll see how that works.  I did notice it did a "fix" to the update so I may try it one more time after I finish looking into the VGA compatible driver mentioned in another post.  I forgot to mention I am running Windows 10 Home.

• Edited by TLNick Saturday, November 26, 2016 2:53 AM
    Saturday, November 26, 2016 2:52 AM