none
DPM 2012 R2 UR2 - Automatic Tape Library cleaning RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am running DPM 2012R2 UR2 v4.2.1235.0 on Server 2012R2 with a local SQL instance. Tape library is a Dell TL2000 running an IBM 3573 Library and 2x IBM Ultrium 5 HH 3580 Tape Drives with one cleaning tape with CLN barcode. I have not configured the automatic drive cleaning via the Library settings as I have previously read that this function is not supported by DPM and can/will cause tape jobs to fail.

I have noticed DPM throws the following error when library cleaning is required:

Affected area: IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library
    Occurred since: 2/08/2014 1:00:33 PM
    Description: Library drive IBM ULTRIUM 5 HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE (SN) in IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library is not functioning and library jobs may fail until the drive is repaired.  The drive is not functioning for the following reason:
     (ID 3303)
    Drive IBM ULTRIUM 5 HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE (SN) requires cleaning. The drive will not be used for further operations until it has been cleaned. (ID 25107 Details: The device has indicated that cleaning is required before further operations are attempted (0x8007048D))
    More information
    Recommended action: Drive IBM ULTRIUM 5 HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE (SN) will be automatically cleaned by DPM. If you are seeing this error frequently, please service the drive.
    No action required
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
    Inactivate

Obviously I can login to the console, request a clean and retry my failed tape backup jobs. however the "Recommended Action" states that the drive will be automatically cleaned by DPM. I have confirmed via the Dell management interface that the library still requires cleaning; is this something that I need to specifically enable in DPM or something that needs to be setup via alerts/scripts? Is this something that is normally handled via SCOM; as we are not running SCOM in this environment what are our options?

As far as i am aware DPM does not support automatic drive/library cleaning so the above message is a little confusing. If someone can advise the best method to ensure our tape library is automatically cleaned and failed jobs are automatically retried/resumed as this is now causing issues with our backup jobs taking significantly longer than intended.

Thanks George

Monday, August 4, 2014 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi George,

you are right, DPM do not support automatic Cleaning of Library.

So i created a Task which runs every Month and cleans all Tape Drives.

Here is the PowerShell Script:

$DPMServerName="$env:COMPUTERNAME"

Import-Module DataProtectionManager

$DPMLib = Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName $DPMServerName 

$td = Get-TapeDrive -DPMLibrary $DPMLib 

Start-TapeDriveCleaning -TapeDrive $td

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Monday, August 4, 2014 5:41 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Michael,

I have seen some similar scripts in the past and have implemented some in other environments, although this script may help/resolve most cleaning issues it is not a 100% guarantee that protection jobs will not fail due to a cleaning request.

I guess I would really like to know if DPM 2012R2 and above is actually meant to support automatic drive/library cleans or if the Error "Recommended action" has simply been phrased incorrectly?

If the automatic cleaning is not supported is there specific alerts that can be used to trigger a clean and then resume/retry the failed jobs rather than waiting for someone to check the console and retry the jobs.

Thanks George

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

i am writing a Script which will resolve such Errors, will take a few days/weeks until first release.

If you would like to help, send me an Mail, Need a Log from your DPM with this Errors to handle that stuff.

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

i am writing a Script which will resolve such Errors, will take a few days/weeks until first release.

If you would like to help, send me an Mail, Need a Log from your DPM with this Errors to handle that stuff.

Hi Michael,

Was there any update on this new script as we are currently experiencing the same problem. We have an automated script which runs once a week and cleans the drive, yet we still get messages asking us to clean tape drive on a daily basis.

(Library we are using currently has two new cleaning tapes in the last two slots.)

• Edited by Lats Monday, January 5, 2015 2:15 PM
    Monday, January 5, 2015 2:14 PM
  • I have almost exactly the same configuration (same tape drives and DPM version) and have exactly the same problem. I have a script that can clean each tape drive in turn, which works fine when run manually but does absolutely nothing when run as a scheduled task. Anyone got any idea why? The task shows 0x0 complete but...nothing....

(script if any interest to anyone - same as the one earlier but cycles through the known tape drive object names to clean all the drives)

import-module dataprotectionmanager
    $DPMLib = Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName <servername>
    $td = Get-TapeDrive -DPMLibrary $DPMLib
    $td1 = $td | Where-Object {$_.name -like "*327*"}
    $td2 = $td | Where-Object {$_.name -like "*185*"}
    Start-DPMTapeDriveCleaning -TapeDrive $td1
    Start-Sleep -s 600
    Start-DPMTapeDriveCleaning -TapeDrive $td2

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:34 AM
  • Hi,

how is your Task configured?

Both marked Settings must be correct:

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat | youtube.com/techguyat

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

hope the Script will be published the next weeks.

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat | youtube.com/techguyat

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:27 PM
  • Ahh! Yes, I was running it as local administrator but changing to SYSTEM did the trick. Thanks! Set that to run every couple of weeks that should be enough.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 4:43 PM