none
Can't backup any VMs in a two node WS datacenter 2012 hyper-v cluster RRS feed

• Question

• DPM is installed on a Windows server 2012 standard. The hyper-v cluster is two nodes using 2012 Datacenter. I've installed the cumalitive upgrade 3 for system center and upgraded the agents on the hyper-v hosts. I can't backup any VMs. I don't use any special hardware VSS Providers since the storage doesn't support this (nexentastor). I recently upgraded our hyper-v cluster to 2012 and decided to rebuild our old DPM2010 server to 2012 form scratch. I had no problems with dpm2010 and the old cluster.

I get this error message: An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: Unspecified error (0x80004005))

Any idea on what's going on? I also get this event on one of the hosts.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process. 

Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data

• Edited by arndawg2 Saturday, November 10, 2012 6:55 PM
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That page is specifically for SP1 which is still in beta.

There is no upgrade path from the public beta bits since it is not suppose to be used in a production environment.  FYI, the dedupe feature in server 2012 cannot be used for the dpm storage pool volumes. DPM 2012 SP1 will only support protecting deduped volumes when DPM 2012 SP1 is running on Server 2012.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by arndawg2 Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:18 PM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:23 AM

All replies

• System Center DPM 2012 is not supported running on Windows Server 2012 until we release System Center SP1 later this year.  We have had reports of DPM 2012 console crashes when navigating to the recovery tab if DPM 2012 is installed on Windows server 2012.  This issue is fixed in SP1.

If you are already in this condition,  I recommend you backup the DPMDB, rebuild the DPM server using Windows 2008 R2 install DPM 2012, then restore your current database. The process is explained in the below technet article.

Recovering DPM servers
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj244606.aspx

We also do not support protecting Windows Server 2012 using SCS DPM 2012 until after SC SP1 is released.   Please do not expect any support for DPM 2012 running on Windows Server 2012, or issues while protecting data sources in Windows Server 2012.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Thanks for that. I could swear that i read that it was listed as a supported operating system in the document I read before taking that decision. .... I've searched and found this document. Did I misunderstand anything here?  

Is there an upgrade path from SP1 beta? I'd like to use 2012 in the future because of the deduplication features that SP1 should support. 

Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:30 PM
  • Hi,

That page is specifically for SP1 which is still in beta.

There is no upgrade path from the public beta bits since it is not suppose to be used in a production environment.  FYI, the dedupe feature in server 2012 cannot be used for the dpm storage pool volumes. DPM 2012 SP1 will only support protecting deduped volumes when DPM 2012 SP1 is running on Server 2012.

• Marked as answer by arndawg2 Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:18 PM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:23 AM
  • Thanks Mike. I should have read more carefully. 

Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:19 PM
  • I just posted the same issue (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmhypervbackup/thread/ccd436fb-ff9b-4c1f-b2bf-52a4c67a4d10, so I suppose this will be the answer for me as well.  But, I only upgraded from 2008 to 2012 because my VHD backups were failing and I was hoping the upgrade would somehow fix my issue.  I guess not.  I will now have to wait for SP1 before I can get any support. 

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:56 AM
  • I just posted the same issue (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmhypervbackup/thread/ccd436fb-ff9b-4c1f-b2bf-52a4c67a4d10, so I suppose this will be the answer for me as well.  But, I only upgraded from 2008 to 2012 because my VHD backups were failing and I was hoping the upgrade would somehow fix my issue.  I guess not.  I will now have to wait for SP1 before I can get any support. 

Rule number one: Never upgrade to solve a problem. :) Anyway the end result is the same as mine. I'm stuck with running SP1 beta for now. I do have other means to backup my important data but full VHD backups is always nice to have. I'll reinstall my dpm server when sp1 is released. Also try using serialized csv backups if you're not using vss hardware provider. It's the same steps as for 2010. This solved most of my issues. 
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Thanks, and I agree with your rule.  But I think rule number one is to never install a new server OS until after the first service pack is released.  :)  I broke my rule and now am paying for it.  I will try the serialized csv backups and see if I can have some success.
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:53 AM