none
Domain Controller Time 8 Minutes Ahead of Standard Time

Question

• Hi,

I am using Windows Server 2008R2 on Physical Machine with PDC Role. Time source is set as Local System Clock. All Client-Servers  time is completely Sync with Domain Time.

The actual issue is that my PDC time is 8 minutes ahead of standard time. I need to set my PDC time locally.

Can any one please guide me the how to do this manually as I guess I can not keep difference of more than 5 minutes for Authentication purpose (Means I have to set time 4 minutes behind & after all clients-servers time is sync I again need to perform this activity) ??

Also Would there be any impact on my Exchange, SQL & other database by changing the Time (As there would be time difference in logs) ??

Would really appreciate positive response.

• Moved by nzpcmad1 Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:07 PM From ADFS
    Saturday, February 18, 2017 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe this can help https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nepapfe/2013/03/01/its-simple-time-configuration-in-active-directory/

• Proposed as answer by Kirill Nikolaev Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:45 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:40 PM
  • As a best practice, Allways have your PDC sync with a time server that is reliable,  here is a pool of time servers: http://www.pool.ntp.org/nl/

If the server does not have internet and it is not possible to get the time servers via slave or proxys then use radio based time servers that you can connect on USB.

w32tm /? gives you all the help you need to configure time services. 

MCSA exchange 2016 | MCTS exchange 2013 | MCTS-MCITP exchange 2010 | MCTS-MCITP Exchange: 2007 | MCSA Messaging: 2003 | MCP windows 2000

Saturday, February 18, 2017 6:15 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, definitely I would go for time server after I set my PDC time back to standard time by manual activity.

Also my actual concern is that would it have any impact on my Exchange (DAG) environment, Cluster's, Databases etc.

Would really appreciate your response.
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 1:01 PM
  • Hi,
    As far as I know, there shouldn't be any impact, once you change the time on the root DC holding the PDC role with correct steps and settings, other domain in the forest will sync automatically and from the DC it will be synced to the client machine too. But it is suggested to perform this in non-business hours avoiding some unexpected problems, even if possible, you could test firstly in a lab environment.
    Here is a similar question in the following thread, you could refer to more details: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/b388d651-ebfe-4c70-a114-57981b12621c/possible-impact-changing-ntp?forum=winserverDS
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 20, 2017 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, February 24, 2017 8:40 AM