none
Backup process RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have two local network 192.168.16.0 and 17.0. DPM is on 16.0 and one of protected machine (WS 2019) with installed agent is in 17.0. Between them is VPN site to site (connection between them is ok). I have question about backup works. In DPM I added storage in 17.0 network (freenas iSCSI and it is in the same local network like WS 2019). What happen if I select this storage to backup machine WS 2019? All data will be sent by VPN to DPM and next they will back to freenas storage or data will be directly backup to freenas without sent it by VPN? What is the correct behavior of DPM in this situation? I will be greatfull for answer.

Your faithfully,
    PK.

Monday, October 7, 2019 7:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Here’s an example of how it works:

You have a DPM server and a protected computer, the protected computer is protected when you install a DPM protection agent on the computer, and add its data to a protection group.

The protection agents track changes to protected data and transfer the changes to the DPM server.

When DPM performs a synchronization, the changes are transferred to the DPM server and then applied to the replica to synchronize the replica with the data source.

Unless you haven’t configured a separate backup network, DPM will use the ”production network” where the DPM server is currently configured on to transfer the backup data.

Best regards,

Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by przemekn1 Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:44 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 12:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Here’s an example of how it works:

You have a DPM server and a protected computer, the protected computer is protected when you install a DPM protection agent on the computer, and add its data to a protection group.

The protection agents track changes to protected data and transfer the changes to the DPM server.

When DPM performs a synchronization, the changes are transferred to the DPM server and then applied to the replica to synchronize the replica with the data source.

Unless you haven’t configured a separate backup network, DPM will use the ”production network” where the DPM server is currently configured on to transfer the backup data.

Best regards,

Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by przemekn1 Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:44 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 12:02 PM
  • Thank you. As I understood, in my scenerio data are going by VPN do DPM and then back to selected storage. I have to create second DPM on network where freenas is and then setup backup.

Your faithfully,
    PK.

• Edited by przemekn1 Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:47 AM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:44 AM