Something freezes machine for several seconds. Invisible to task manager and process explorer RRS feed

• Question

• This is a problem been bugging me for months. I think it is just one day a week. It seems to go for hours and then stop. Something freezes the entire machine for periods of seconds then releases it to continue. When frozen, the mouse won't work, task manager and process explorer freeze etc.  After the release, task manager performance window shows some of the cores have spiked up to 100%.

Anybody got any clues on what this might be or how to start tracing it?

Win 7 64bit

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         980  @ 3.33GHz, 3326 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you have anyor software such as anti-virus is scheduled to run? I doubt this issue is related to some application. Open Task Manager and click the Processes tab and check which process is monopolizing the CPUs. And, boot in Clean Boot and Safe Mode see if the issue persists.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:37 AM
    Friday, May 3, 2013 6:51 AM
  • This sounds (to me) like a memory problem (mouse freezes, buttons/keyboard won't work).  Have you run a memory diagnostic, how old is the mem(?), whens the last time you cleaned the inside of the machine(assuming you can)?  How much mem you runnin', Enough?  I'd start with that if those were my problems.

horatio..."I'm an enthusiast Jim(Kirk)...not a Bricklayer"

Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have anyor software such as anti-virus is scheduled to run? I doubt this issue is related to some application. Open Task Manager and click the Processes tab and check which process is monopolizing the CPUs. And, boot in Clean Boot and Safe Mode see if the issue persists.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 3, 2013 6:51 AM
  • This sounds (to me) like a memory problem (mouse freezes, buttons/keyboard won't work).  Have you run a memory diagnostic, how old is the mem(?), whens the last time you cleaned the inside of the machine(assuming you can)?  How much mem you runnin', Enough?  I'd start with that if those were my problems.

horatio..."I'm an enthusiast Jim(Kirk)...not a Bricklayer"

Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:02 AM