Virutal Workspaces and much more? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everyone.

i myself am a computer connoisseur of sorts. I have used 5 or 6 different versions of Linux, Jolly Cloud, ChromeOS, Mac and of course Windows. Windows has been my primary base of operation for, well since ever. The reason; Linux, Jolly Cloud, Mac and many others have never been viable alternatives to the compatibility (and gaming experience) of Windows. For me, Windows works- I have Windows 7 Professional x86 edition installed on my custom built gaming rig that has a dual core processor, GeForce 9600 graphics, and plenty of RAM to go round and it runs fabulously. But i have to say that Debian isnt far behind on scratching my itch for a few of things that Windows doesnt feature; it just needs to be able to run my games and software and i would probably never use Windows again.

I've noticed that in recent years, Windows has fallen behind the technological benchmark for features and innovation. When i look at Windows 7, i really see it as a fancied up version of XP with a few cool new things. But as far as a whole new OS goes, Windows really hasnt made any definitive differences other than looks since before XP. I know some of you will certainly argue with me on that but Windows is quinticentially the same OS now as it was 8 or 9 years ago. Now i know they added some really advanced architecture changes that goes far beyond any of my programming knowledge or understanding of kernel engineering but one thing i do know for sure is that Windows needs to get with times. Linux Debian beats Windows in features for me and i have to pay nothing for it.

First thing Debian has that Windows doesn't- virutal workspaces. The ability to have four desktops running simultaneously all on one monitor and having your applications organized into a much broader space. This is a feature of Debian and come to think of it, Macintosh, that has no limits to good it would do. I have often times been frustrated by Windows' system of stacking and cascading your running windows and making a complete mess of them. With Debian i can move between 4 different desktops and have any window i choose be in any of them. For those of you who are familiar with the feature i am refering to, you know just how much this increases your productivity.

Second thing- customizable keyboard shortcuts. I know that this is one feature of Windows that has been excluded to help it be more universal but lets be honest. I can't use my friends' computers the same way i use mine simply because they have it set up differently. Microsoft includes all these fancy and quite literally shiny ways to customize your Windows experience but they overlook some of the most useful ones. For instance, on Debian i have Alt+Q set up as the close program function Ctrl+(a number 1-4) switches to the corresponding workspace, Alt++ maximizes a program, Alt+- minimizes a program, and Ctrl+Home opens up my personal folder- those are just examples of shortcuts i made for myself because there are in fact many more. Those were of my own creation and that was on a freeware OS. Why doesnt Windows have something like that where you can set up your own shortcuts? And i don't want to hear licensing or complexity bullshit because back in 80's Windows use to not be able to use the overlapping windows feature but now they can. Why? because they got the rights to.

Third thing- Sandbox interface. the G.N.O.M.E. Desktop that runs on Linux offers a way to almost completely customize the interface to your liking. You can create your own panels that can be transparent, make your own quicklaunches, put processor monitoring widgets on, weather forcasting gadgets, window selectors, the equivalent of a start menu, and iconize almost any function on your computer into a button shortcut. Everything can be moved anywhere so long as its on a panel and the panels have auto hide and user hide options, meaning the user can actually press a button to hide a certain panel. No to GNOME desktops are the same. My friends who have Linux with GNOME have drastically different interfaces that fundamentally work differently even though we are running the same version of Linux. What can you do one Windows? well you can kinda pin programs to the taskbar and kinda make a quicklaunch by adding this and that and can kinda move it around. On GNOME you can literally create your own interface.

Fourth thing- simplicity. Windows has grown into this giant cybernetically enhanced jellyfish of an organism. It has so much ____ in it now that its hard to get anything to work the way any specific person wants it to run. It seems like Windows is trying to cater to the people who still struggle with the concept of right clicking and as a result have made it worse for everyone. Linux and Mac are so simple and user friendly and actually provide you with help when you need it. Windows' help database often confuses me more than i was before i read the worthless built in thread and it never can answer the question i have. I learned very early to never use the Windows help and just go straight to the internet. Linux and Mac on the other hand require no help at all possibly because they work to begin with. its like the difference between driving a rusty old bus and a 2009 sedan. 

Fifth thing- UNIX based. Windows IS NOT UNIX based which is really irking. The Windows kernel is an independent kernel developed by Microsoft known as MS-DOS. Not sure if that is still true as of the newer versions of Windows but i know they aint UNIX based. This one comes back to the jellyfish analogy. Building an OS on DOS is like cybernetically augmenting a jellyfish. It just doesnt work. I dont get why Microsoft wont take the time to fundamentally rethink Windows and maybe its because to do that most existing software would no longer work but that is not the point. Linux and Mac are UNIX based and never get blue screens, kernel panics, freezes, crashes, memory errors, memory dumps, data loss, boot errors, and many other anomalies that are unique to the Windows environment.

those are just five things that Windows is lacking. many users who have their own suggestions are welcome to add their piece. I can live with Windows but i must say that if companies start making games and software for Mac i would be more than glad to switch. Its time to get with the times Microsoft! Freeware is beating you. and when freelance programmers are beating a multi-billion dollar company that is just pathetic.

so now to the users: What is your request of Windows and what would you do to make it better?

Saturday, September 25, 2010 7:03 AM