• OS: Microsoft Windows Home - Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299

Microsoft Outlook 2016 MSO 16.0.8730.2016 32 Bit

Search in Outlook has not worked for months

I have:

1. Rebuilt the index
    2. Deleted the index file and rebuilt
    3. renamed and copied the .pst file
    4. Tried a lot of "solutions" from forums

The windows search service is running but the Index service is not (error 1053 when I try to start)

Search working in File Explorer

Search in Outlook comes up with No Results

Indexing Status in Outlook shows 0 items remaining to be Indexed

Indexing Option shows 177435 items indexed. Indexing Complete

Microsoft Outlook is selected to be indexed.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Meggsie,

What’s your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

Have you made any changes to Office or Windows before this issue occurs?

>> The windows search service is running but the Index service is not (error 1053 when I try to start)

According to my research, the usual service is called "Windows Search", not Indexing Service. Indexing Service has been removed since Windows 8. What do you mean by starting Index service?

If you are using Exchange account on online mode, please try switching to cache mode to see whether issue persists.

Besides, if issue continues, we can try using Troubleshoot search and indexing option to see if there are any improvements.

I hope it’s helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry Pan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, January 4, 2018 8:58 AM
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 8:57 AM
  • Thanks, I ran Outlook in safe mode and the search works fine

I had run ScanPST before and repaired errors, but not since the rename & copy of the PST file, but I ran it again, repaired the errors and search is still not working in Normal mode

Sunday, January 7, 2018 2:21 AM
  • Hi Perry,

The account type is POP

I have made no modifications, windows updates have occurred, but I try to run as Vanilla as possible.

I have both Index Service & Windows Search in Service, only Windows Search is running

I ran the troubleshooter and no errors were found.

The Search works in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode

Thanks

Sunday, January 7, 2018 2:59 AM
  • Hi Meggsie,,

When starting Outlook in safe mode, all Instant Search functionality in Outlook (that is provided by WDS) and customization are disabled. This means searching in Outlook normal mode or safe mode uses different search mechanisms.

Have you tried testing with a different computer to see the result?

Have you made any changes to Office or Windows before this issue occurs?

Besides, please check for Windows update to see if there are any improvements. Please go to Start > Setting icon > Update and Security >Windows Update

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, January 16, 2018 1:13 AM
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:18 AM
  • I too am having the same problem and it started occurring sometime in the past couple of weeks.

I haven't made any changes to Office or Windows; and everything is up to date according to Windows Update.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 3:06 PM
  • Hi Meggsie,

How is everything going on with is issue now?

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 1:13 AM