What is the difference between "Word found no differences between the two documents" and "The document contains no comments of tracked changes" RRS feed

• Question

• I compare two identical documents and Word gives me the first message, "Word found no differences between the two documents", not opening the usual document showing the differences because there are none. Then I compare two other documents which I think are identical, Word opens the new document in which it usually shows the differences, but no difference is shown, and when when I try to search for the next difference using the Review menu, it gives me the second message: "The document contains no comments of tracked changes". So, why is it doing one thing in one case and the other in the second case?

Thanks!

Damian

• Moved by Chenchen Li Monday, September 11, 2017 1:37 AM
    Saturday, September 9, 2017 9:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Damian,

This forum(Visual Studio Tools for Office) is for development issues related to Visual Studio Tools for Office and your problem is more related to Word product feature, so I would move this thread into Word IT Pro Discussions.
    Thanks for your understanding.
    Best Regards,
    Terry

Monday, September 11, 2017 1:35 AM
  • Hi Damian,

For information "Word found no differences between the two documents", it indicates that there is no differences for your compared documents.

For the second "The document contains no comments of tracked changes", I suspect if one of the document is enabled for track changes but the document owner/author doesn't accept the changes. In your scenario, confirm if the Track changes feature is enabled or not. Then check the difference and change it manually, save changes then do the comparing to have a try.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:16 AM
  • Hi Dear Winnie.

Thanks so much for your answer.

I'm going to answer here because you answered me here, so you can see my answer, please forgive that this is the wrong place to do it.

The author for both documents is me. Both documents have the Track changes feature disabled (and also the third, resulting document has it disabled).

So how do I know if there is any difference between the two documents, and why is Word doing this, instead of just saying "Word found no differences between the two documents"?

Thank you so much!

Damian

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:21 PM
  • Hi Damian,

It seems that the issue "The document contains no comments of tracked changes" occurred when you compared two specific documents.

If possible, would you mind to share the documents to us for more analysis? You can upload them to OneDrive and share the links here so that users here can download your files and give suggestions. Please notice to protect any private information for your documents.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:19 AM
  • Hi Winnie:

Yes, it happened when I compared two specific documents.

Ok, I'll try to have a non-sensitive version to upload. Let me edit the documents a bit to see if it still happens.

Thank you again!

Damian

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:30 PM
  • This does not let me post links, it says I need to have my account verified... :(

Thursday, September 14, 2017 5:52 PM
  • This does not let me post links, it says I need to have my account verified... :(

Just paste the link as text instead of hyperlink so that we can copy it.

Friday, September 15, 2017 9:01 AM
  • No, it does not let me paste links even without hyperlinking them... May I email the documents to you?

Thanks a lot!

Damian

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:15 PM
  • No, it does not let me paste links even without hyperlinking them... May I email the documents to you?

Thanks a lot!

Damian

Yes, you can share the specific document to us via GBSD TN Office Information Collection ibsofc@microsoft.com. We would open your problematic file in our test environment. Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up :)

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:25 AM