Can I use Backup and Restore after i've restored my laptop to factory installed condition? RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently had to restore my laptop to factory condition after a software install caused a serious system problem (I did this after other work arounds did not work. I was talked through this by my laptop manufacturer). Without going into a lot of detail, my video driver had become corrupt, and not knowing what software installation caused the problem, I couldn't use system restore, and had no choice to restore back to factory settings, and then re-install my programs, and then upload my documents that I had saved on the external hard drive. If I was in a similar position where system restore or any other work around didn't solve my problem, and I had to restore my computer back to factory condition, could I use the backups I made on my external hard drive using backup and restore to restore all of my programs, settings and documents, similar to system restore?

Monday, February 21, 2011 10:21 PM

Answers

• You can use backup and restore to create a system image, which is a copy of your current system.

Create A System Image In Windows 7

Create a system image as a backup for your current computer in case you ever need to reinstall it. That will save you the trouble of having to reinstall Windows 7 and everything currently installed again, and it takes much less time to do.

1.  Click the Start Menu and type "Back Up" then click on Back up your Files. 
    2.  In the Control Panel window that appears, Click the blue Create a system image link.
    3.  The Create a system image window should pop-up.  Select which hard disk, DVD, or network location you are going to save your system image to.  Click Next to continue.
    4.  On the next page check both your System and System Reserved drives.  Once you have selected the drives Click Next to continue. Note: You can select as many drives as you want (if available), but the more you choose to include means the larger the image size will be.
    5.  The next window is just a review, make sure everything is correct then Click Start backup to start the process.  This can take 10 minutes or more so patience is required.
    6.  After the backup completes, you?ll be prompted with the option to create a system repair disc.  This is a good idea just in case your system has any problems in the future.  Click Yes.
    7.  Choose which Disc Recording drive you?ll be using to burn the disc.  Insert a blank CD or DVD to the physical drive and then Click Create disc.

How To Restore Windows 7 from a System Image
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7702/restoring-windows-7-from-an-image-backup

You can also use System Restore in some situations:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
    FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:06 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:19 AM