Freezing of new computer RRS feed

• Question

• Have I completely wasted my money? I just bought a brand new Acer Aspire with Windows 7 and set it up exactly as per the instructions. Then I got a deluge of updates and the whole thing has stopped working. It freezes up as soon as I boot up and just doesn't work. I'm now back using the old slow machine - it's XP and takes for ever to boot up but at least it works.

I can see why people buy Apples!

Sunday, June 5, 2011 12:26 PM

Answers

• can you boot in to safe mode?

when system is booting keep pressing F8, if YES then do a system restore to before the updates where applied.

If not use the recovery disk supplied by Acer

then install each update seperatly to find the problem one

Dave MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, MCP

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, June 10, 2011 9:47 AM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 10:03 PM
  • As its under warranty acer should also be able to provide you with support. if you use the recovery disk and still have problems its definately worth speaking to them

Free Support Tools

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:13 PM

All replies

• can you boot in to safe mode?

when system is booting keep pressing F8, if YES then do a system restore to before the updates where applied.

If not use the recovery disk supplied by Acer

then install each update seperatly to find the problem one

Dave MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, MCP

Monday, June 6, 2011 10:03 PM
  • As its under warranty acer should also be able to provide you with support. if you use the recovery disk and still have problems its definately worth speaking to them

Free Support Tools

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Thanks guys. The initial problem looks like it was the result of Kaspersky updating (21,000 files) - the database was corrupted and crashed everything. I did the safe mode clean boot and it worked fine for a few days, but after loading itunes today it froze again. Looks like Windows & is a bit fraglie with other programs added so I'll minimise the updates and extras and see how I go.

Cheers

Friday, June 10, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Have I completely wasted my money? I just bought a brand new Acer Aspire with Windows 7 and set it up exactly as per the instructions. Then I got a deluge of updates and the whole thing has stopped working. It freezes up as soon as I boot up and just doesn't work. I'm now back using the old slow machine - it's XP and takes for ever to boot up but at least it works.

I can see why people buy Apples!

I have an Acer Aspire One also -- the Netbook with the new Atom dual core processor with HT (shows up as 2 Cores and 4 virtual processors in System Info).

I found that it works much better if you add the maximum 2 GB RAM even though I upgraded it to Win 7 Home Premium. It plays music well (especially if I connect it to my sound system at home) and plays video flawlessly and the display is very decent (I played a DVD with an external DVD Writer and it looked fantastic, playing wit no lag, glitches, etc.)

To correct yours, I recommend you do a System Restore to the earliest time you can, then upgrade the RAM to 2 GB (the 2 GB RAM chip was $20 via Amazon).

Then, get a good Anti-Virus (I use AVG free) and a good Anti-Malware product (like Malwarebytes free). Also get and use CCleaner and a good third party defrag solution (I use Diskeeper 2011 Home version as it runs transparently and automatically, while it  prevents fragmentation).

I also installed iTunes and Office 2007 - the full version (Enterprise Edition ?) and it all runs excellently with the above tools. It runs great and is very fast and smooth.

These little machines have a lot of potential; they are light, very portable and their batteries last a decent amount of time, but they do need the right tools to maintain them,and the extra RAM is crucial (even with all this stuff and an external DVD writer, case, etc. I am still WAY ahead of some I know who bought a MAC Air! AND there are A LOT of resources available for me to get parts and repair it myself if it breaks down later on (not so with Apple!!)

Good Luck!

Friday, June 10, 2011 5:34 PM