Broken Device Manger Link in My computer properties and Broken slideshow link in Pictures folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys

I have an Asus N80vc with Vista Premium 3GB memory, 320 GB hard drive and dual core CPU.

I have the following problems that I would like an answer to: -

1) when I try to access device manager through mycomputer_properties I am left with no movement, although all the other links below the device manager link work
    2) when I try to activate the slideshow link in a pictures folder I am left with a mouse pointer that turns to a moving circle like it trying to do something and then stops.

I have no idea why this is happening although this happened after a rebuild by Asus after it went back due to hardware faults.

Also I know that there is work around like run commands to start-up device manager, but been pedantic and wanting the pc to work as it should; any help advice is very much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance for your help

Dinos
    Friday, May 29, 2009 1:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

To answer your questions.

1) when I try to access device manager through mycomputer_properties I am left with no movement, although all the other links below the device manager link work

Answer: to troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.     Check Access To System Properties in Group Policy Object Editor.

1)     Open the Group Policy Editor.

2)     Navigate to User Configuration / Administrative Templates / Desktop.

3)     In the details pane, disable the Remove Properties from the My Computer context menu policy option.

4)     Restart your computer or type gpupdate /force at the command prompt.

If the issue persists, please continue the step 2.

2.     Modify the registry to Enable Access to System Properties via My Computer.

Note: Remember to back up registry before any modification.

1)     Press Ctrl + R to open Run window, and type: regedit.

2)     Press Enter, and locate to the folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

3)     Now look at the right hand pane of the registry editor. Check to see if you have NoPropertiesMyComputer. If you do, jump to step 4. If you don’t, follow the instructions below on how to create NoPropertiesMyComputer.

a)     Right click on the right hand pane of the registry editor.

b)     Select New and then select DWORD.

c)     Rename the new DWORD NoPropertiesMyComputer. You can also right click on the new DWORD value that comes up and select Rename.

4)     Double click on NoPropertiesMyComputer. A new box will come up.

5)     Enter 0 to display Properties. 

6)     Exit the registry and reboot.

2) when I try to activate the slideshow link in a pictures folder I am left with a mouse pointer that turns to a moving circle like it trying to do something and then stops.

Answer: it seems that your computer hangs while you try to activate the slideshow link in a pictures folder. This kind of issue can be related to several reasons, to troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.     Scan for the whole disk using security software such as Norton if you have. This might be caused by spyware or viruses.

2.     Open the Task Manager to see if there is any wired program/process you don't recognize.

If it is the process of an application, please note the name of this application and reinstall it. If you can’t reinstall this application, you need to uninstall it and reboot the computer to see if the issue persists.

Otherwise, if the process is SVCHOST.EXE, it may be related to a service. In this case, you can use the following steps to find out what applications are using most of the CPU:

a)     Right click the taskbar, and click Task Manager to open.

b)     In Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, and look for the process that is using abnormal CPU and note its PID (Process ID).

Note: You may need to go to the "View" -> "Select Columns" menu and check PID (Process Identifier) first.

c)    Once you have the PID, please run the following command line from a command prompt:  tasklist /svc

d)     Please check the output item of the related SVCHOST.EXE process (with the recorded PID), and uninstall these services to see if the problem can be taken care of.

3.     Boot in Safe Mode, and see if this issue occurs.

If the issue persists, please respond back with detailed information on each operation.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Monday, June 1, 2009 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

To answer your questions.

Answer: to troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.     Check Access To System Properties in Group Policy Object Editor.

1)     Open the Group Policy Editor.

2)     Navigate to User Configuration / Administrative Templates / Desktop.

3)     In the details pane, disable the Remove Properties from the My Computer context menu policy option.

4)     Restart your computer or type gpupdate /force at the command prompt.

If the issue persists, please continue the step 2.

2.     Modify the registry to Enable Access to System Properties via My Computer.

Note: Remember to back up registry before any modification.

1)     Press Ctrl + R to open Run window, and type: regedit.

2)     Press Enter, and locate to the folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

3)     Now look at the right hand pane of the registry editor. Check to see if you have NoPropertiesMyComputer. If you do, jump to step 4. If you don’t, follow the instructions below on how to create NoPropertiesMyComputer.

a)     Right click on the right hand pane of the registry editor.

b)     Select New and then select DWORD.

c)     Rename the new DWORD NoPropertiesMyComputer. You can also right click on the new DWORD value that comes up and select Rename.

4)     Double click on NoPropertiesMyComputer. A new box will come up.

5)     Enter 0 to display Properties. 

6)     Exit the registry and reboot.

Answer: it seems that your computer hangs while you try to activate the slideshow link in a pictures folder. This kind of issue can be related to several reasons, to troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.     Scan for the whole disk using security software such as Norton if you have. This might be caused by spyware or viruses.

2.     Open the Task Manager to see if there is any wired program/process you don't recognize.

If it is the process of an application, please note the name of this application and reinstall it. If you can’t reinstall this application, you need to uninstall it and reboot the computer to see if the issue persists.

Otherwise, if the process is SVCHOST.EXE, it may be related to a service. In this case, you can use the following steps to find out what applications are using most of the CPU:

a)     Right click the taskbar, and click Task Manager to open.

b)     In Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, and look for the process that is using abnormal CPU and note its PID (Process ID).

Note: You may need to go to the "View" -> "Select Columns" menu and check PID (Process Identifier) first.

c)    Once you have the PID, please run the following command line from a command prompt:  tasklist /svc

d)     Please check the output item of the related SVCHOST.EXE process (with the recorded PID), and uninstall these services to see if the problem can be taken care of.

3.     Boot in Safe Mode, and see if this issue occurs.

If the issue persists, please respond back with detailed information on each operation.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Monday, June 1, 2009 10:39 AM
  • Hi

Thank you for the very well written feedback. As it goes I have not had much luck with the instructions as I am running Vista home premium which lacks the group policy feature also the regedit folder structure is slightly different at the end from what your instructions.

I also downloaded a spyware utility but still no luck with the slideshow feature.

It’s very strange but it looks like I will have to live with this until windows 7 become available

Thanks again for your help especially with all the time and effort it took to write.

Cheers

Monday, June 8, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Unfortunately, neither of above works. However, based on more research and tests on our machines, I would like to share more troubleshooting with you.

I noticed that you can open Device Manager by running command, this indicates that Device Manager is out of problem. The issue may be related to conflicting programs or drivers that may interferes with Windows normal operation. To solid troubleshoot this kind of issue, you may need to modify third-party shell extensions.

For more detail steps, please visit the following website.

Can't Open Device Manager From the Tasks Pane in Windows Vista

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cannot-open-device-manager-from-tasks-pane-vista/

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you, Microsoft doesn't control any change and software in this website.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 2:41 AM