Shortcuts in My Computer cuase explorer.exe to infinte loop shlwapi.dll with unknown_query hook. RRS feed

• Question

• This all started a couple days ago on several win 7 pro boxes we just installed them last month and after this weeks windows updates several of them had severe performance dives upon inspection it appeared as if windows search was infinatly indexing everything and it couldnt be disabled, attempts to remove all index entries where moot the system would still run with all cpu cores at 100% used by the searchindexing service.    this was resolved by uninstalling the windows search from the add remove windows features  of add remove programs. 

But thats not all the same exact shlwapi.dll is doing the exact infinte loop when i attempt to open shortcuts to c:\ and mapped drive letters even usb sticks cause this to happen but only if accesses via my Computer shortcut on start menu and shortcuts to the computer link on startmenu.  

oddly enough you can access all drive letters through the common controls dialogs open/save/browse  just not directly.

there where no articles about this exact issue for win 7 only years old refernces to vista with same exact issue with shlwapi.dll

pls assist

all systems are 3gb Intel CoreI quads with win7 pro 32 bit all use solid state 70gb harddrives.

also worth noting that the problem persists in safe mode and for whatever reason system restore wont shoe me restore points older then the 19th so i cant undo the problem using system restore on any of the boxes i scanned with malwarebytes, spybot and combofix also used hijackthis cant find anything suspicious on any of the boxes.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:09 AM

Answers

• Try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

1.     Right click on the Start button and then click Properties.

2.     On the Start Menu tab, click Customize button.

3.     Pull down the list and in "Search other files and libraries", choose "Don't search".

4.     Click OK.

If the issue persists, please create a new user account to see if the issue occurs. If the issue does not occur in a new user account, please move on to the suggestions in this article: Fix a corrupted user profile

Also, you can access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

You can refer to the suggestions in this thread as well: 100 % CPU load in Explorer.Exe - SHLWAPI.dll!Ordinal629+0x161

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, August 27, 2010 2:23 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:54 AM

All replies

• Try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

1.     Right click on the Start button and then click Properties.

2.     On the Start Menu tab, click Customize button.

3.     Pull down the list and in "Search other files and libraries", choose "Don't search".

4.     Click OK.

If the issue persists, please create a new user account to see if the issue occurs. If the issue does not occur in a new user account, please move on to the suggestions in this article: Fix a corrupted user profile

Also, you can access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

You can refer to the suggestions in this thread as well: 100 % CPU load in Explorer.Exe - SHLWAPI.dll!Ordinal629+0x161

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, August 27, 2010 2:23 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

make a xperf trace [1] to diagnostic the high CPU usage. Please upload the etl file to your SkyDrive [2] and post a link here.

I'll take a look at it.

André

[1] http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140264
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:14 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:42 PM
  • the no search start menu customization didnt help neither did safe mode or create new user.  i beleive now that the solid state harddrives are defective and corrupting data.
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 5:16 AM
  • make the trace

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:14 AM