Incredibly Annoying Bug w/ Regard to "Styles" Panel... RRS feed

• Question

• This bug makes me want to bash my computer in with a crowbar, throw it in the lake, get in the car, drive at 120mph to the closest MS HQ building & beat the crap out of whoever's responsible for this bug.  Ok now that I feel slightly better... 

I'm running Windows 7.  This bug has been happening since I installed Office 2010 (and I think also with 2007, but I can't be certain).  It took me FOREVER to figure out what was causing it b/c everything happens so fast & then Word just freezes up.  

In a nutshell, if my mouse is hovered over any of the default styles in the Styles toolbar at the top while I'm typing, all kinds of bizarre things start happening.  First, it'll change the text I'm typing to whatever style I'm hovering over (which makes enough sense).  In addition, it starts tripling, quadrupling (and more) almost every letter I type.  So if I type "I hate Word", it ends up inputting, "Iiii Haaaateee Wwwordddd" or something similar.  I type very fast (144 wpm last I checked), so my first instinct is to ctrl+backspace to fix the duplicated letters/words.... which ends up erasing my ENTIRE document at lightening speed, and completely freezing Word.  I lose everything I hadn't saved, and can only end Word's process via the Task Manager in order to use Word again.  If I catch it fast enough, it won't freeze up.  And by "fast enough" I mean almost immediately.  

So, it's like having your mouse hovered over a style while typing, causes the program to act as if you are holding down each key (thus, erasing my entire document at warp speed, because hitting ctrl+backspace once ends up repeating a zillion times).  

For the love of all things sacred, PLEASE look into this.  I can record it happening & send it to someone if you like.  Even with my being aware of it & avoiding having it happen, I sometimes forget and lose a half a document (like I just did 5 minutes ago).  Halp!

Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:05 PM

Answers

• Hi

The feature you are refereing to is Live Preview.  Do you have any of these issues when it is turned off?  File -> Options -> General -> Enable Live Preview take out the tick.

Most of what you are describing I would put down to screen redrawing issues caused when Live Preview attempts to change the appearance of your document. Do you know whether your screen driver for your graphics is up to date?

What specification does the graphic system in your PC/laptop have?

G North MMI
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:32 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you installed other Office version? such as Office 2007 you said.

First I suggest you to uninstall all your Office versions(2007 and 2010 for you). multiple Office versions seem to be a causing.

Clean boot then re-install you Office 2010.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Sincerely,

Harry

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:34 AM
  • Hi

The feature you are refereing to is Live Preview.  Do you have any of these issues when it is turned off?  File -> Options -> General -> Enable Live Preview take out the tick.

Most of what you are describing I would put down to screen redrawing issues caused when Live Preview attempts to change the appearance of your document. Do you know whether your screen driver for your graphics is up to date?

What specification does the graphic system in your PC/laptop have?

G North MMI
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:32 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:12 PM
  • This happens with Office 2007 and 2010, it's very easy to reproduce on any PC with Live Preview.  It's a super annoying bug and oversight on Microsoft's part.  Just leave your cursor on one of the styles and start typing.  It will eventually happen and lock up Word.
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 5:48 PM