Windows 7 32 bit lockup - Hard reset needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 Professional 32 bit and I keep having issues with lockups. The screen freezes and I'm unable to use the mouse, the only thing I can do is a hard reset. What I have done so far is: -

- Memory test - All seems fine
    - Hard drive has been replaced recently and error checked and all ok
    - Installed latest video drivers but did the same with the Microsoft drivers
    - Cleaned all the dust of internal components and replaced the thermal paste
    - Checked for errors in the event log but nothing appears other than the message saying the restart was unexpected
    - Disabled Hibernation in case it wasn't helping

I thought I'd cracked it with the clean out but yesterday it locked up again after 6 days being ok. I can't see any pattern as to software running which could cause this but also can't see any indications in the event log that something's wrong. I was connected to it via Remote Desktop when it locked up so it shouldn't have gone to sleep anyway

Anyone got any ideas what else I can try?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Sunday, September 4, 2011 8:46 AM

Answers

• Drivers, because they run at a low level, can cause lockups.

Have you checked, for example, to see if your display driver is up to date?  Visit the web site of the maker of you video card (e.g., nVidia.com or ATI.com) and see what they offer for your hardware and OS.  Usually it's better to get drivers directly from the manufacturer than through Microsoft's WHQL.  You wouldn't think so, but quite often newer is better, and the Microsoft-served versions are usually older.

And your instinct that it could be hardware failure isn't necessarily wrong...  Memory, for example, can fail to read back what was written in.  Do you have ECC memory?

Do you have any diagnostics specific to your system that you can run?

-Noel

Sunday, September 4, 2011 7:13 PM
  • check to make sure the memory is seated correctly, sometimes a loose DIMM can be problematic

goto memtest.org and download the cd/usb version and check the memory for problems

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint etc.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. My Page on SSD is now #2. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Sunday, September 4, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:
    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:44 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Usually, a server can appear to hang (stop responding) in the situations of insufficient system resources, high CPU usage, high disk usage, deadlock in kernel mode or key system processes, or hardware problem. To troubleshooting the issue efficiently, it is important to understand the exact symptom.

I guess you must alread checked the event log, and there is no event related the insufficient of resources. So, maybe there is a deadlock in kernel mode, and caused the hang issue.

In most of the hang cases, the hardware drivers and the antivirus dirvers are first suspected.

So, it is still recommended to apply all the updates for all the hardware drivers and firmware, and BIOS. Then stop the anti-virus software if you installed.

After that, if the Hang issue still occurs, maybe you can capture a Dump file manually, but we need to enable this feature:

We can configure the Ctrl+Scroll+Scroll feature to enable manually creating memory dump when the PC becomes unresponsive. To enable this feature, please do the following steps:
    ====================
    a. It will be better if you can plug a PS/2 keyboard directly to the computer. If you don't have a PS/2 keyboard or PS/2 port, you can still try USB keyboard.
    b. Run regedit to open Registry Editor.
    c. If you are using a PS/2 keyboard, locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters 
    d. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry entry:
    Name : CrashOnCtrlScroll
    Data Type : REG_DWORD
    Value : 1 
    e. If you are using a USB keyboard, please add CrashOnCtrlScroll under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters.
    f. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer. 

For more information, please refer to the following KB articles:
    KB244139: Windows feature lets you generate a memory dump file by using the keyboard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;244139
    KB969028: How to generate a kernel or a complete memory dump file in Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;969028

To ensure that a memory dump could be created successfully, please configure memory dump settings per the steps below:
    =====================
    a. Click Start -> Control Panel -> System, and go to advanced tab.
    b. Click "Settings" in "Startup and Recovery" section.
    c. In "System failure" section, uncheck "Automatically restart", choose "Complete memory dump", and click OK.
    d. Click "Settings" in "Performance" section, and set page file on C: to be larger than your physical memory size.
    e. Click OK to save the settings, and restart the server.

Next time when the issue occurs, please press Right Ctrl+Scroll+Scroll (hold down Right Ctrl, and press Scroll Lock twice) to manually create a blue screen, and wait until it finishes saving the memory dump. After rebooting, Please let me know, i would like to provide a FTP space for you to upload it.

Thanks.

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:34 AM
  • All,

I've been up and running for over a week now after replacing my graphics card. I'm assuming this was the cause all along. Many thanks for all your help with the troubleshooting it was very much appriciated

Regards

Chris

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:01 PM

All replies

• Drivers, because they run at a low level, can cause lockups.

Have you checked, for example, to see if your display driver is up to date?  Visit the web site of the maker of you video card (e.g., nVidia.com or ATI.com) and see what they offer for your hardware and OS.  Usually it's better to get drivers directly from the manufacturer than through Microsoft's WHQL.  You wouldn't think so, but quite often newer is better, and the Microsoft-served versions are usually older.

And your instinct that it could be hardware failure isn't necessarily wrong...  Memory, for example, can fail to read back what was written in.  Do you have ECC memory?

Do you have any diagnostics specific to your system that you can run?

-Noel

Sunday, September 4, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Hi Vegan/Noel,

Thanks for your replies. To answer both questions in one, here's the specs

Advent T9208 (with modifications)

Processor - Intel Pentium D 945 processor (3.4 GHz)

Memory (4x 512MB DDR PC2-6400) - Non ECC

Motherboard MSI (Micro Star) MS-7187

2TB Western Digital Drive

Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

To answer the other questions, yes, I have installed the latest ATI drivers previously and it made no difference. I also don't have any diagnotics tools but did run the MS Memory test

Regards

Chris 

Sunday, September 4, 2011 9:14 PM
  • check to make sure the memory is seated correctly, sometimes a loose DIMM can be problematic

goto memtest.org and download the cd/usb version and check the memory for problems

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint etc.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. My Page on SSD is now #2. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Sunday, September 4, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

From the description, it seems suffer from random lockup, no matter which application is running. If I misunderstood, please correct.

Given this situation, I would like to confirm if you have Windows 7 SP1 installed. If not, download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below according to the System Type:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 544.3MB)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f559842a-9c9b-4579-b64a-09146a0ba746&DisplayLang=en

If yes, let us boot into Safe Mode to check if the issue persists.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 5, 2011 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, I already have SP1 installed. Running in safe mode isn't really going to help much as the problem is so intermittant. As mentioned, it ran for 6 days and it was fine but then locked up. I don't think working on it in safe mode is going to help much as I won't be able to do much on the machine anyway.

Is there any way of getting more information into the event log?

I'm going to try Vegan's suggestion later to check the memory using a different tool and see what happens, I'll also reseat the memory just in case.

Regards

Chris 

Monday, September 5, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Hi Vegan,

Thanks for the suggestion. Checked the memory seating and all ok. Ran the memory test as you advised and it passed ok without any errors

Any other ideas?

Regards

Chris

Monday, September 5, 2011 7:22 PM
  • No, there's no BIOS updates available for the board

I can understand the reason for running in safe mode but it's going to be too limited to use and not really going to help much other than tell me it's drivers which seems the logical option already. I'll try the suggestion with the USB devices and see what happens

Regards

Chris

Monday, September 5, 2011 7:33 PM
  • As requested. Not sure why some are duplicated as they are only installed once

Appwiz © 2010-11 Ian E, Green, All Rights Reserved
    Free for personal use only.

7-Zip 9.20
    AMD Catalyst Install Manager
    AMD Media Foundation Decoders
    AVG 2011
    AVG 2011
    AVG 2011
    Adobe AIR
    Adobe AIR
    Adobe Anchor Service CS4
    Adobe Bridge CS4
    Adobe CMaps CS4
    Adobe Color - Photoshop Specific CS4
    Adobe Default Language CS4
    Adobe Drive CS4
    Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
    Adobe Fonts All
    Adobe Linguistics CS4
    Adobe Media Player
    Adobe Output Module
    Adobe PDF Library Files CS4
    Adobe Photoshop CS4
    Adobe Photoshop CS4
    Adobe Photoshop CS4 Support
    Adobe Search for Help
    Adobe Service Manager Extension
    Adobe Setup
    Adobe Type Support CS4
    Adobe Update Manager CS4
    Adobe WinSoft Linguistics Plugin
    AdobeColorCommonSetCMYK
    Artisteer 3
    Canon MP Navigator 3.0
    Canon MP600
    Connect
    D3DX10
    DVD Flick 1.3.0.7
    Driver Sweeper version 3.1.0
    HTC BMP USB Driver
    HTC Sync
    Haali Media Splitter
    Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2007 Tools for Applications - ENU (KB946308)
    Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2007 Tools for Applications - ENU (KB946344)
    Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2007 Tools for Applications - ENU (KB947540)
    Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2007 Tools for Applications - ENU (KB947789)
    ImgBurn
    Java Auto Updater
    Java(TM) 6 Update 26
    Junk Mail filter update
    KeePass Password Safe 1.20
    MSVCRT
    MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended
    Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages
    Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2010
    Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2010
    Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft Office Standard 2010
    Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2010
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Books Online
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Policies
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 ENU
    Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
    Microsoft Silverlight
    Microsoft Web Deploy 2.0
    Microsoft WebMatrix
    MozyHome
    Notepad++
    OpenVPN 2.2.1
    Opera 11.51
    PDF Settings CS4
    Photoshop Camera Raw
    SMPlayer 0.6.9
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Database Engine Services
    SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Client Tools
    SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Client Tools
    SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Common Files
    SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Integration Services
    SWiSHmax
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2518870)
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2487367)
    Simple CSS 2.1
    Steam
    The Settlers 7 - Paths to a Kingdom
    Ubisoft Game Launcher
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2473228)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523)
    Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2494150)
    WinRAR archiver
    Windows Live Communications Platform
    Windows Live Essentials
    Windows Live Family Safety
    Windows Live Installer
    Windows Live Mail
    Windows Live Mail
    Windows Live Movie Maker
    Windows Live Movie Maker
    Windows Live Photo Common
    Windows Live Photo Gallery
    Windows Live SOXE
    Windows Live UX Platform
    Windows Live Writer
    kuler

Monday, September 5, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Yes, looking at what your report has shown up, it does look like a mess. Where does your tool read the information from though as I can't see any duplicates in program files or HKLM\Software although it's probably reading from somewhere else?

Yes, we do use the cannon software as it's got some useful photo maniplulation utilites that come with it. I'm not so keen on installing Microsoft Security Essentials as independant software review companies have said it's performance for proactive defence isn't up to the same standard as it's competitors

SwishMax is used to create flash files. It was installed after the last lock up so I know it's not related. Removed ImgBurn so I'll see how I get on with the native solution

Regards

Chris 

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:
    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Regards,

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:44 AM
  • I've ran your tool on my office machine and I get similar duplications but with different products. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but it's something I'm doing on both machines if the details are correct!

Sikuli X
    Sikuli X
    Snagit 10.0.1
    Softerra LDAP Browser
    SoundMAX
    Sunbelt Enterprise Agent
    Sunbelt Enterprise Agent
    TrueCrypt
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2473228)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2468871)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2533523)
    VMware Server
    VMware vCenter Converter Standalone
    VMware vSphere Host Update Utility 4.0
    Veeam Backup and FastSCP
    WPF Toolkit February 2010 (Version 3.5.50211.1)
    Windows Live Mail
    Windows Live Mail
    Windows Live SOXE
    Windows Live UX Platform
    Windows Live UX Platform Language Pack
    Windows Live Writer
    XStudio 1.4sp6
    ccc-core-static
    kuler
    psqlODBC

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

How about the result from clean boot?

I have seen you have tried all kinds of troubleshooting steps on hardware side, what if the issue is due to conflict with third party software?

I suggest try clean boot before formatting and reinstalling everything.

Regards,

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:52 AM
  • I'd actually prefer to try and figure out where the duplicates are coming from before I re-install as it's clear that something I am doing on both machines is causing the duplicates so I need to figure out the underlying cause.

Regards

Chris

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Yes, I'll be looking at other options before a re-install. I'll let you know what I find

Regards

Chris

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:07 AM
  • I've checked for duplciate GUID's for the following and they do exist although I have no idea how this happened

4E52E5C90CE2F864E93FB30466D02909 - Windows Live Mail
    3CF865A380B0BC648AAB7BD2E0D0D78C - Windows Live Mail
    02FE520F746E13B46B37398809175627 - Windows Live Photo Common
    1F0F10557B51C764FBD31C2DE616AC13 - Windows Live Photo Common

Won't this be down to the application vendor to decide whether to use the same GUID? Is this even likely to be the issue?

From the posts so far it looks like it may be a third party app conflict so I'm going to remove items that I feel I could do without and see how I get on. I do have a system image creating in Windows 7 should I want to use it but I would like to resolve without using it

Regards

Chris

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Hi Chris,

How is it going? Have you tracted down which application is causing conflict?

Regards,

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

It's still work in progress unfortunately. I thought I'd cracked it as it locked up last Friday when using TrueCrypt which I use to mount some encrypted files I use at work but then yesterday, when it wasn't in use it locked up again. I'll reply once I've figured out the root cause

Regards

Chris

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

Also check if any malicious infection occured by running the Antivirus software.

Regards,

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Hey, I have been having the same lock ups. Updated everything possible and still happens.
    Have used some google powers to after finding a similarity in my event viewer with another sufferer.

Event 10016: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}"

check event viewer after one of the periods of freeze/lock up. If you find the above error (10016) it follow this link!
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/thread/77e2e957-53a7-4381-bf84-5905a583a1fc

Some clever chap has posted a solution. I have followed the steps and have been running fine for a few hours now.  

One more question, do you have an SSD installed? Google, SSD and turning superfetch off. In my event log i found superfetch errors, which have now gone due to superfetch being disabled.

Ill recheck this for any updates you post and if my problem returns.
    Good luck to both of us! 

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've checked my logs and don't have the same errors as you so I'm guessing our problems are slightly different

I have had 2 more lockups since so they are becoming more frequent. I did install the latest ATI driver with Catalyst Control Center yesterday to see if it made any difference but it didn't.

I've now done a selective startup in msconfig with just limited programs turned on  (i.e. Antivirus only) so I'll see what happens now and report back

Regards

Chris  

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Usually, a server can appear to hang (stop responding) in the situations of insufficient system resources, high CPU usage, high disk usage, deadlock in kernel mode or key system processes, or hardware problem. To troubleshooting the issue efficiently, it is important to understand the exact symptom.

I guess you must alread checked the event log, and there is no event related the insufficient of resources. So, maybe there is a deadlock in kernel mode, and caused the hang issue.

In most of the hang cases, the hardware drivers and the antivirus dirvers are first suspected.

So, it is still recommended to apply all the updates for all the hardware drivers and firmware, and BIOS. Then stop the anti-virus software if you installed.

After that, if the Hang issue still occurs, maybe you can capture a Dump file manually, but we need to enable this feature:

We can configure the Ctrl+Scroll+Scroll feature to enable manually creating memory dump when the PC becomes unresponsive. To enable this feature, please do the following steps:
    ====================
    a. It will be better if you can plug a PS/2 keyboard directly to the computer. If you don't have a PS/2 keyboard or PS/2 port, you can still try USB keyboard.
    b. Run regedit to open Registry Editor.
    c. If you are using a PS/2 keyboard, locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters 
    d. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry entry:
    Name : CrashOnCtrlScroll
    Data Type : REG_DWORD
    Value : 1 
    e. If you are using a USB keyboard, please add CrashOnCtrlScroll under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters.
    f. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer. 

For more information, please refer to the following KB articles:
    KB244139: Windows feature lets you generate a memory dump file by using the keyboard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;244139
    KB969028: How to generate a kernel or a complete memory dump file in Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;969028

To ensure that a memory dump could be created successfully, please configure memory dump settings per the steps below:
    =====================
    a. Click Start -> Control Panel -> System, and go to advanced tab.
    b. Click "Settings" in "Startup and Recovery" section.
    c. In "System failure" section, uncheck "Automatically restart", choose "Complete memory dump", and click OK.
    d. Click "Settings" in "Performance" section, and set page file on C: to be larger than your physical memory size.
    e. Click OK to save the settings, and restart the server.

Next time when the issue occurs, please press Right Ctrl+Scroll+Scroll (hold down Right Ctrl, and press Scroll Lock twice) to manually create a blue screen, and wait until it finishes saving the memory dump. After rebooting, Please let me know, i would like to provide a FTP space for you to upload it.

Thanks.

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

I gave up in the end and did a re-install of Windows 7. It did lockup but I couldn't force the memory dump after it had crashed, tested it before and the force dump worked ok but the lockup must have prevented it from working

Anyway, I installed Windows as was half way through SP1 and it locked up again so I guess that rules out software conflicts. I've put in a spare graphics card and am seeing how I get on now. I'll let you know what happens but so far it seems ok

Regards

Chris

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:57 AM
  • All,

I've been up and running for over a week now after replacing my graphics card. I'm assuming this was the cause all along. Many thanks for all your help with the troubleshooting it was very much appriciated

Regards

Chris

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Yes, have done now

Regards

Chris

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:48 PM