Windows cannot find OSPPSVC but it is at the correct path, causing my Microsoft Office not open up RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, I've been having this trouble for quite a long time. Everytime I tries to open ANY appication from the Microsoft Office (such as Word), it will pop out a Configuration Process, and the process will never ends because at the end it will say "OSPPSVC.exe failed to start blah blah blah...". So, I could not use them. I have tried all the solutions online and NONE OF THEM is working for me. I tried the regedit thingy, giving NETWORK SERVICE permission and just anything I could have searched on the Internet but OSPPSVC still failed to start. So, I located to path of OSPPSVC.exe and tried to open it up manually and I got this error:

https://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=c4e92fb1-f0ae-480a-bb93-ade4c8ee11d6

I have make sure that all the folder in the path is spelled correctly, I already checked for a lot of time, but it turns out it is still not working even Run as Administrator...

I just could not understand why it shows that it "cannot find" the file when the file name is all correct, is it because the osppsvc file is corrupted and how could I solve this problem? Please help me ASAP, thank you!

P/S: I am running on Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2010

Monday, September 11, 2017 9:19 AM

Answers

• Okayy... so I just did a clean boot and tried to start MS Office, still the same error. OSPPSVC is still not launching. So i decided just to upgrade my MS Office from 2010 to 2013, now, I am having MS Office 2013 and all those applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc. works perfectly fine. So I guess I kind of solved the problem...? But still, OSPPSVC is still having trouble to launch. Thanks for your help btw!
    • Marked as answer by Kee Chen Jie Monday, September 25, 2017 6:03 AM
    Monday, September 25, 2017 6:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Kee,

Maybe the solution in the following article you have tried:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/5dda9b0b-636f-4f2f-8e50-ad05e98ab22d/error-1920-service-office-software-protection-platform-osppsvc-failed-to-start-verify-that-you?forum=officesetupdeployprevious

If it doesn't work, please install all latest updates for Office 2010 and Windows. Then go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, select Office 2010, click Change > Repair to repair Office. Confirm if the issue can be fixed.

Additionally, I suggest we can try to user another new user account to logon the Windows, open Word 2010 to have a try.

Any updates in your side, feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:29 AM
  • Well that doesn't solve my problem either... I have already tried that before, new user account also doesn't work. I think the problem here might be corrupted osppsvc.exe file, because the osppsvc is located in the correct path, but when I tried to launch it manually, it shows an error "Windows cannot find C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\OSPPSVC.EXE'.Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." I already make sure that all the file's name in the path is correct, but windows still shows error cannot find the file. So, is there any solution to my problem?
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:29 PM
  • Well that doesn't solve my problem either... I have already tried that before, new use account also doesn't work. I think the problem here might be corrupted osppsvc.exe file, because the osppsvc is located in the correct path, but when I tried to launch it manually, it shows an error "Windows cannot find C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\OSPPSVC.EXE'.Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." I already make sure that all the file's name in the path is correct, but windows still shows error cannot find the file. So, is there any solution to my problem?

Hi,

If the OSPPSVR.EXE file is corrupted, maybe you can try to install Office 2010 in a new computer and copy the OSPPSVR.EXE file from a working machine to this problematic one. Confirm if you can open it.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:44 AM
  • Well, I only have this one computer in my home. I did tried to copy the OSPPSVC file from my friend's working machine but it still doesn't work. I did found out something new. When the file is named OSPPSVC.EXE, it will shows error when I try to open it and it has a shield thingy at the right bottom corner of its icon. When I try to rename the file to other name and try to open it, there will be no error box, just a command prompt open up for a few second and then it will close and the shield at the icon will disappear after renamed to other name than OSPPSVC. I tried to open Microsoft Office after renaming the file but it will just create a new OSPPSVC.EXE automatically and still showing the error, help?

Sunday, September 17, 2017 8:18 AM
  • Hi Kee,

If the issue only happen to one specific computer, try to perform a clean boot for it and open Office 2010 to narrow down the issue. To perform a clean boot, please refer to:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Monday, September 18, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Okayy... so I just did a clean boot and tried to start MS Office, still the same error. OSPPSVC is still not launching. So i decided just to upgrade my MS Office from 2010 to 2013, now, I am having MS Office 2013 and all those applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc. works perfectly fine. So I guess I kind of solved the problem...? But still, OSPPSVC is still having trouble to launch. Thanks for your help btw!
    • Marked as answer by Kee Chen Jie Monday, September 25, 2017 6:03 AM
    Monday, September 25, 2017 6:03 AM
  • I have luckily faced the exact same issue.

I might be late but I just found the solution for all the people still facing this issue.

Open your registry editor(Win+R and then type "regedit" and hit enter).

Then go to this location

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options".

Under this folder there will be another folder called "osppsvc.exe".

This is what is blocking your "osppsvc.exe" file from executing thereby blocking the "Office Software protection Platform Service" from installing. Just delete this folder and you are good to go.

Office will now install.  If this works for you guys please make sure to upvote my answer.

Thursday, July 23, 2020 7:24 PM