Incorrect free Space Shown in C: drive Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My computer consist of 40 GB partition Where I use this partion as windows 7 Installation drive.When I check the capacity of available folders inside the C: drive,I got the result as shown in following image(This includes hidden files as well)

But when I go to "Computer" window, free space of the C: Drive is shown as follows.But according to the above image this should contain free space of 13GB at least. Can any one figure out why the following picture shows an incorrect free space for C: drive?

Thanks and Regards,

Pumudu

• Edited by Pumudu Monday, October 31, 2011 3:50 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 3:49 PM

Answers

• Sir, please go to Tools --> Folder option -->

(1) Show hidden files.

(2) uncheck  --> Hide Protected operating system files ( Recommended ).

so , After that you see the file  (  pagefile.sys ) , i think this file is taken about 5 to 10 GB .

How to Delete the Pagefile.sys File in Recovery Console

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Pumudu Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:48 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 10:25 AM
  • sir, after that you should check the Programs you are installed on C:\ check them in Programs and Features and uninstall the software you see it takes a lot of size,  then try to defragmenting your hard disk.

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Pumudu Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:49 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:58 PM

All replies

• Sir, please go to Tools --> Folder option -->

(1) Show hidden files.

(2) uncheck  --> Hide Protected operating system files ( Recommended ).

so , After that you see the file  (  pagefile.sys ) , i think this file is taken about 5 to 10 GB .

How to Delete the Pagefile.sys File in Recovery Console

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Pumudu Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:48 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Hi Rashid,

Thank you Very much for your quick response and i've followed above steps.So I found 2 System files which is taking lot of space in the hard drive which are Hiberfile.sys and Pagefile.sys.I was able to remove the Hiberfil.Sys file according to instructions in this link.But I did not remove pagefile.sys and following are the screen shots of modified hard disk space.

Still there is about 2GB of free space missing in this drive,could you please let me know are there any additional  files  which takes the space of C: drive?

And also please mention whether is it ok to delete the pagefile.sys file.(Since this related with Virtual memory, is there any affect to Windows7system? )

Thanks

Pumudu

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 5:29 PM
  • sir, after that you should check the Programs you are installed on C:\ check them in Programs and Features and uninstall the software you see it takes a lot of size,  then try to defragmenting your hard disk.

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Pumudu Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:49 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:58 PM