none
Stand Alone HyperV BMR protect guest OS? RRS feed

• Question

• So my question is if i have a stand alone HyperV box, and have the full BMR of that machine, are my guests protected? I understand i would not be able to recover them the same way i would the other boxes using DPM but that aside if i restored the HyperV would all the guest essentially work?
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:55 PM

All replies

• the bare metal are the body of the host server, but you need to save the hyper-v structure to recover them if you need.

for more information read this article: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=14575

S

S.Net
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator - MCTS Server Virtualization - Operations Manager 2007 - Exchange Server 2007 - MCSE-M
    S.Net Blog
    WindowServer.it
    WindowServer.it Learning Portal

• Proposed as answer by S.NetMVP Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:24 PM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Hi JustusIV,

S.Net is right. BMR will only backup the host server including the C:\ drive by default. If you have other storage on the Hyper-V host containing your virtual machines you will need to included this in protection as well. It would be best if you do a BMR of the host and then protect the Hyper-V virtual guests in DPM. That way you can recover the host and recover the virtual machines in their entirety.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

Monday, January 16, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Hello,

There is an exception, if the VHDs were housed on the C: drive then the VHD's will be included with the HyperV host BMR backup. 
    It would have to be quite a bit of space for both the C: and the space allocated in the storage pool for the PG.

Thanks
    Shane

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:26 PM
  • To add to that DPM MVP Robert Hedblom has a post on adding other drives to be protected as a part of BMR. Here is the link for this: http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2010/09/bmr-can-protect-more.html . Doing this will allow you to include other drives in your BMR backup if the VM's are not stored on the C:\ drive.
    My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Thanks for the responses.

I am aware that i would need to include the locations of the vhds for DPM to back them up.

I was unaware that DPM had special backup proceedures for HyperV. I will read through that whitepaper. 

Long story short is we have a very complicated standalone hyperv setup all storage is internal. Some of the guest operating systems are not even windows. So thats the main reason why i was wondering how well just an MBR of the host would get a backup of the whole setup.

• Edited by JustusIV Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Hello,

Please let us know if you have any more quesitons.

Thanks,
    Shane

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:28 PM