Call triggers email/text action? RRS feed

• Question

• We have an internal emergency number (not 911) setup in a response group configuration. Basically it's for low priority emergencies that don't require an ambulance, police, fire... When someone calls the response group number, it rings our internal first-responders (attendant mode), and the first person in the group who answers the call takes ownership.  Pretty simple.

Recently we were asked if a text/sms message could be sent to all first responder's cell phones when anyone calls the response group.  It doesn't have to be anything complicated, just a notice that the number had been called, regardless of who actually answered the call.

I was thinking about an event trigger on our FE's, but it looks like Skype For Business doesn't store call actions in the Windows event logs.  Is there a simple way to set this up that doesn't require the Skype SDK?  The flow is straight forward: If the number xxx-xxx-xxxx is dialed, then do x.  We're all set with the "do x" part, sending of the alert/text.  It's finding a way to connect it with the dialing of a particular extension that we're stuck on.

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi

In E-911 settings in Lync you can assign an notification URI this is a SIP address and could be anyone in your Org. If you configure E911 (even though it is not true 911) and then add the SIP URI of your hunt group it may work by Toasting everyone, perhaps (not tested) 

Alternative is to look at MSPL scripting to write an action based on the source of the call etc.

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:43 PM
  • Thanks Mark, but i'm not sure how your response relates to my question.  Sending toasts to everyones desktop won't get text messages sent to their cell phones.  Or am i missing something?

Even just having it send an email when the group is called would work.

• Edited by blinkyjesus Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:17 PM update
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 5:48 PM
  • There is no native way of getting this done unfortunately.  You're looking at doing some custom SDK development work there.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, July 22, 2016 7:48 PM
  • Hi, 

As far i know lync/sFB is not equipped as of now with an option to trigger messages or emails with the RGS call flow. Its a good ask but not natively available. 

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Saturday, July 23, 2016 7:45 AM
  • Thanks Akampa, but that's really not what i'm talking about.  For what we're trying to accomplish it's not necessary for sFB to be able to trigger messages on its own.  I just need to find something sFB does natively whenever a number is dialed.  Like if it wrote that information to event viewer, then i could tie our batch file to that.  Or if it logged that information somewhere on the FE, i could install a third party file monitor that would look for that information and then call the batch file when found.  Sorry about the confusion.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:28 PM