Software Costs for Retired Individual RRS feed

• Question

• I own several licenses for windows XP and have one particular software item, AutoCAD LT 5 that will not run on Windows 7 or 8 without upgrading.  This also applies to Corel Draw.  I use these programs for my own interests regularly but do not produce billable work on them.  They are too expensive to upgrade, so while I have other computers with windows 7, I cannot afford to upgrade my software to accommodate Windows 7 or 8.  I purchased Windows 8 for an Acer notebook computer but found it too difficult to work with and changed back to Windows 7.  I am disappointed in being abandoned by Microsoft, and by Autodesk for that matter.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:54 AM

All replies

• Your computer will NOT just stop working next week.  What will happen is that Microsoft will stop issuing updates to XP.  This means that if in the future, a vulnerability is discovered and a virus made to exploit it, Microsoft will not issue a patch for XP to be immune to it.  If your computer is not on the internet (or not a lot even), you should be fine for the most part.  Be sure you have up to date anti-virus software.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Friday, April 4, 2014 3:28 PM