none
Steady State - Windows Disk Protection concerns RRS feed

• Question

• When using a system with SteadyState v2.5 and Windows Disk Protection in place (Remove all changes), any account that logs in with administrator privileges will be prompted with the option to save or clear any changes when choosing to restart the computer. 

Today, I verified that with such an administrator account.

However later on, after downloading 7.5GB of data, installing software and SEVERAL updates, all of which took several HOURS (about 6 hours) to complete, when I chose to restart the computer, it did NOT give me that option and restarted the system, thus WIPING ALL OF THAT DATA.

Needless to say I was not happy. But I want to know what went wrong and why.

Prior to rebooting, it gave me a notice that the computer was low on Hard Drive space - though it did NOT say it would CLEAR the changes made.

As for hard drive space, it was a 120GB hard drive, with over 35GB left available. That's more than 25% of the HD, so why would this message appear??? In the past, Steady State only needed 10% of the HD available.

Why did I get the low drive space message when I had more than 25% of the HD left and WHY did it affect the 'save changes' prompt that should have appeared when I chose to restart the computer??

I use Steady State at home and at work on many different machines (50+).

This is the FIRST time I have ever come across this 'low hard drive' message. 

On a few rare occasions, I have seen the system NOT ask whether I wanted to save the changes while logged in as Administrator.  I do not know why this happens and am very unhappy that it just wasted several hours of my time. I would like to know how to prevent this in the future.

Thanks,

KH

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:19 AM

Answers

• Hi, when you enable  Windows Disk Protection in Windows SteadyState, it will calculate the size of your hard disk and create a cache file equal to 50% of the free hard disk space. Be sure you turn off the Windows Disk Protection, if you turn on this function, it will restore system device after you restart PC. As you said you didn’t receive “save changes” notification, please make sure you don’t select the option “Do not warn the administrator about losing changes before logoff, restart, or shut down” in Windows Disk Protection.

And about the “low hard driver” message, it is hard to say the issue related with Windows SteadyState, you can try to remove Windows SteadyState to see if the same issue appears.I need detail information about the low disk space error to find if this is from Windows system or Windows SteadyState. You can make a screenshot of the error to me.

Friday, August 20, 2010 7:21 AM