Changing the Isolation level in MOSS RRS feed

• Question

• hi!

We are maintaining a large SharePopint Farm (MOSS2007 on top of SQL2005)

I have read that switching Isolation level to work with RCSI (Read Committed Isolation) may improve performance significantly.

I can't seem to find a solid reference to this subject neither on Microsoft's side nor the WWW.

My questions are:

Anyone tried applying RCSI on SQL Server used as a backend for a LARGE scale MOSS product?

Can you point me to a solid reference about this issue?

Thanks, Daniel.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

Transactions specify an isolation level that defines the degree to which one transaction must be isolated from resource or data modifications made by other transactions.

Choosing the appropriate isolation level depends on balancing the data integrity requirements of the application against the overhead of each isolation level. By default, the isolation level is Read Committed, if you didn’t change the isolation level before, there is no need to change it.

As I know, there isn’t clear relationship between the isolation level and performance, if you have read that switch isolation level to work with RCSI may improve performance significantly, would you please provide the link you have read or other resources about this?

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:07 AM