Can't Ping Router RRS feed

• Question

• I am a little Knowledgeable about networking, but changes in software has put me behind the times. My brother has asked me to set up a couple of small networks and routers, which I have done without too much problem. This includes just now swapping out my personal router so his are all alike. My problem is my personal laptop. I have not been able to connect to my new TP-Link (TL-WR940) wirelessly. I do not have a problem with any of my other devices.

I have had it networked to several different routers both Cat5 and wirelessly over the past couple of years. Now using the command prompt through Windows 8.1, I cannot even ping the router unless it is hard wired.

Why can I not connect to the wirelessly ping my router?

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, please try to update the driver of the wireless NIC to the latest version.

If issue persists, please make sure that the router runs on the mode supported by the client.(802.11a/b/g/n).

Also, is there any related warning or error in the event viewer?

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, please try to update the driver of the wireless NIC to the latest version.

If issue persists, please make sure that the router runs on the mode supported by the client.(802.11a/b/g/n).

Also, is there any related warning or error in the event viewer?

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:02 PM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.  <o:p></o:p>

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.  <o:p></o:p>

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.  <o:p></o:p>

Thanks!<o:p></o:p>

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 9, 2015 3:42 AM
    Answerer