Windows Vista WON'T SLEEP!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Would someone please tell me WHY is it that my Windows Vista laptop REFUSES to stay asleep, yet my two other XP laptops have no problem staying asleep whatsoever?!?!?!

I have been to every forum/blog/posting site and tried everything and yet this piece of you-know-what wakes up whenever it feels like it!!

I have honestly never hated anything more than I hate Vista.

Any help would be appreciated.
    A. M. Robinson
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your update.

We're hoping for your reply and shares of your experience with users in this community forum. However, if neither of above works, please also respond back with detailed information. By the way, it is recommended to provide power configurations of your computer. Please follow the steps below to collect power configurations.

1) Open a command prompt by clicking Start, right clicking Command Prompt running as a administrator.

2) Run command: powercfg -l to list all power schemes.

3) Run command: powercfg -export {filepath} {GUID} to list each power scheme settings.

Note: {filepath} is related to export destination path, for example, d:\schemebalance.pow{GUID} is related to power scheme GUID.

4) Compress this files to power.zip, and upload to SkyDrive ( www.skydrive.live.com  ) and let us know the URL.

Then, we'll look in this power configurations and perform a further investigation.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Windows Vista doesn't sleep if either of the following status is true.

1.     The video card driver isn't updated or is incompatible with Windows Vista. If it is the case, I recommend that you contact video card manufacturer to obtain the latest Windows Vista compatible driver.

2.     The computer BIOS is incompatible with Windows Vista or the computer BIOS settings are incorrect. To troubleshoot this kind of issue, you may need to update the computer BIOS and make sure that sleep and other power-saving states are turned on in BIOS.

3.     You may have installed some third-party program which has its own power management that overwrites the power settings in Windows Vista. You can perform a clean boot to identify it. Performing clean boot initialize the minimize services and applications so that you can manually disable and enable application and service to verify if it is the cause.

Clean boot

==========

1)     Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)     Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)     Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4)     Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

5)     Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

For more information about this step, please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

Meanwhile, I would like to share two articles with you.

Why isn't Sleep available?

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/b647af87-9988-4d4d-9709-8097f88c916f1033.mspx  

You may experience power management-related symptoms on a computer that is running Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927393/

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Thanks...

I'll give these a shot and see if any works.

Although the incompatible drivers thing kinda baffles me. I bought this laptop with Vista preinstalled. I would think that Toshiba would be using the appropriate drivers for a laptop they manufactured...but we'll see.

Thanks again.
    A. M. Robinson
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

We're hoping for your reply and shares of your experience with users in this community forum. However, if neither of above works, please also respond back with detailed information. By the way, it is recommended to provide power configurations of your computer. Please follow the steps below to collect power configurations.

1) Open a command prompt by clicking Start, right clicking Command Prompt running as a administrator.

2) Run command: powercfg -l to list all power schemes.

3) Run command: powercfg -export {filepath} {GUID} to list each power scheme settings.

Note: {filepath} is related to export destination path, for example, d:\schemebalance.pow{GUID} is related to power scheme GUID.

4) Compress this files to power.zip, and upload to SkyDrive ( www.skydrive.live.com  ) and let us know the URL.

Then, we'll look in this power configurations and perform a further investigation.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:42 AM