Acer Aspire laptop with Vista home basic not loading, system restore not working, sfc finding corrupt files but not repairing. Need help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have an Acer Aspire Laptop with Vista Home Basic which came pre-installed, so no disks only the hard drive partition.

I turned on my laptop today and it boots up but stalls at the black screen with '(c) Microsoft Corporation' and the sliding green loading bar. The sliding bar will continue to slide, but nothing else happens meaning I don't even get as far as the log in screen. I rebooted and tried Windows Recovery but the only repair it suggests is a System Restore which won't work no matter which past point I try to restore it to.

So instead I logged in in safe mode and ran the SFC command prompt. It scans my system and says it's found corrupt files but that it can't heal some. This is where my limit knowledge runs out. I don't know how to repair the files the SFC can't. (Also I created a log using findstr command prompt and checked it but nowhere does it say it couldn't repair so I'm not even sure how to identify the corrupt files)

As it's an Acer Aspire laptop I was going to try their eRecovery tool to return my computer to factory settings but this won't work in safe mode and as I've said I can't log in normally. I've tried alt and F10 at the initial boot screen when I switch on, it loads windows files and brings up the Acer 'please wait a moment' screen and than nothing happens again. 

I can't afford to get it repair, and there's not a chance I can get a new laptop. Any ideas/help? Thanks. 

Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:01 PM

All replies

• For SFC Results
    Check for file  corruption by clicking Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click
    Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type
    findstr /c:"[SR] Cannot" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log|more
    This will see which files are corrupted. We may be able to copy them from another computer.

--
    --
    "Ghostlandia" wrote in message news:ea18ff7e-a181-4035-bb36-5f0e6d730dd2...

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire Laptop with Vista Home Basic which came pre-installed, so no disks only the hard drive partition.

I turned on my laptop today and it boots up but stalls at the black screen with '(c) Microsoft Corporation' and the sliding green loading bar. The sliding bar will continue to slide, but nothing else happens meaning I don't even get as far as the log in screen. I rebooted and tried Windows Recovery but the only repair it suggests is a System Restore which won't work no matter which past point I try to restore it to.

So instead I logged in in safe mode and ran the SFC command prompt. It scans my system and says it's found corrupt files but that it can't heal some. This is where my limit knowledge runs out. I don't know how to repair the files the SFC can't. (Also I created a log using findstr command prompt and checked it but nowhere does it say it couldn't repair so I'm not even sure how to identify the corrupt files)

As it's an Acer Aspire laptop I was going to try their eRecovery tool to return my computer to factory settings but this won't work in safe mode and as I've said I can't log in normally. I've tried alt and F10 at the initial boot screen when I switch on, it loads windows files and brings up the Acer 'please wait a moment' screen and than nothing happens again. 

I can't afford to get it repair, and there's not a chance I can get a new laptop. Any ideas/help? Thanks. 

Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:59 PM