none
System Center configuration manager - Very slow to deploy application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Why developer designed system center configuration manager in such manner that it is concluded as very slow deployment tool?

Can we expect advancement in the tool and make it more quickest tool in the market?

Reasons to ask :

It takes almost 6-8 hrs to deploy on the machines, and hence slow delivery of applications.

Regards, Firoz Ahmad (Cheeeeeerrrrssssss)

Friday, January 17, 2014 5:02 PM

Answers

• It does not depend on the number of distribution points. 

That marketing material you link to is from 2009 and was inaccurate even back then.  Take a look at the Gartner research - Altiris is a dying product that's stopped even trying to compete with ConfigMgr.

If you want things to deploy fast, that is certainly possible to do.  There are customers who expect software to be installed in less than 5 minutes by ConfigMgr.  This is achievable, but has trade offs.  ConfigMgr is designed to manage hundreds of thousands of devices, so by default it isn't set up to do things instantly.

How often are your clients checking for policy?

How often is the collection you are deploying to updated?

As soon as the client finds out about a required deployment (by downloading policy about being in a collection with a deployment), it will start trying to download the content for the deployment from the distribution point and then run the program.  Make sure the device gets in the collection right away and have the client check in more often, and the install will start quicker.  But, that will put more load on your management points.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you've found a bug or want the product worked differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Edited by NPherson Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Firoz (MCTS) Sunday, January 19, 2014 6:05 AM
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:05 PM

All replies

• Deployment can be faster. There are many moving parts involved and all of them can be configured / adjusted ((delta) collection updates, discovery cycles, policy polling etc)

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Friday, January 17, 2014 6:20 PM
  • Sounds like a configuration issue not a program issue. Mine deploy in less than 30 minutes.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

Friday, January 17, 2014 8:01 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with John it sounds very long. How are you deploying the applications? using AD groups? Collection Queries? There are many things you can do to speed it up, but to come with a suggestion a little bit more information about how your setup looks like and how you deploy applications is needed.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Friday, January 17, 2014 8:41 PM
  • Hi Jorgen,

I don't have much knowledge in SCCM but what I have observed that there were around 40 distribution points. When we pushed the application, it takes around 2-3 hrs in deployment. 

In other configurations, where around 150 DPs were present, and it was taking around 6 hours to deploy.

So might be deployment depends on DPs also, right?

Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:33 AM
  • Is MS working on the points which is better in Altris Deployment toolkit as compared to SCCM 2012?

http://www.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/Licence%20Dashboard%20-%20Symantec%20Altiris%20v%20Microsoft%20SCCM.pdf

Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:52 PM
  • It does not depend on the number of distribution points. 

That marketing material you link to is from 2009 and was inaccurate even back then.  Take a look at the Gartner research - Altiris is a dying product that's stopped even trying to compete with ConfigMgr.

If you want things to deploy fast, that is certainly possible to do.  There are customers who expect software to be installed in less than 5 minutes by ConfigMgr.  This is achievable, but has trade offs.  ConfigMgr is designed to manage hundreds of thousands of devices, so by default it isn't set up to do things instantly.

How often are your clients checking for policy?

How often is the collection you are deploying to updated?

As soon as the client finds out about a required deployment (by downloading policy about being in a collection with a deployment), it will start trying to download the content for the deployment from the distribution point and then run the program.  Make sure the device gets in the collection right away and have the client check in more often, and the install will start quicker.  But, that will put more load on your management points.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you've found a bug or want the product worked differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Edited by NPherson Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Firoz (MCTS) Sunday, January 19, 2014 6:05 AM
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:05 PM