Mouse Driver for Sideways scrolling RRS feed

• Question

• Hello...

under win XP I had a mouse driver for microsoft mouse (intellipoint v4.00.0657.1) (mouse name =Wheel mouse optical USB) which allowed me to hold the center scroll wheel down, move the mouse sideways and the diagram, spreadsheet or whatever which was wider than the screen, would scroll sideways.  This allowed avoidance of the horizontal scroll bar or use of the arrow keys on the keyboard to move about quickly and without taking hand off the mouse.

We have now migrated to Win7-64  enetrprize and I no longer have this functionality, and trying to install theold V4.x driver is blocked as a compatibility issue.  

I have installed driver: IPx64_1033_7.00.260.0 (from microsoft site)  but I cannot get this functionality back using this driver either.   There are lots of hardware choices with the ability to set up the wheel button to do different things and for specific programs within this driver.  However, there is no horizontal scrolling which is what I need.

Does anyone know if there is any way to accomplish the sideways scrolling via the scroll wheel?  Either a new hardware solution or a better driver.  

Not sure why MS made thus functionality go away, but really need to have it back for a multitude of reasons the main ones being ergonomics and productivity.

Thanks in advance for any giudance you can offer. 

Friday, October 26, 2012 11:02 PM

Answers

• If it's a Microsoft mouse, and the wheel tilts, I would think it would work OK, either as the default action, or through custom settings. I looked through all the commands for the wheel button and didn't see scrolling as an option, but that may or may not be because I have scrolling on tilting.

If the M&K Center software doesn't work for you, then you can uninstall it through Control Panel > Programs and Features. Be sure to have the installation file for your current Intellipoint version on hand so you can reinstall it afterwards. You can get v7.1 and v8.2 here: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/intellimouse
    (v7.1 was the last to support PS/2 connections, but works fine for USB and wireless.)

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by burger2go Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:33 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Hi Tom...

Ok, I broke down an bought a new mouse myself - actually 2 one for home and one for work. I figure if it helps me by not paining my arm to keep moving to the scroll bar, then its worth the investment.

Actually, I managed to find a good sale on the MS Comfort Mouse 4500 which normally sells for $35 here... for $9.99 at NCIX.  So at that price.. what the hey!  It has a tilt scroll wheel and is Win 7 compliant/certified .  I say GEFN.

Cheers!

Burger2go

Burger2go

• Marked as answer by burger2go Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:15 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:14 AM

All replies

• You can install the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center software:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30462

I have it with a MS Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000, and all I have to do is tilt the wheel left or right to scroll horizontally.

SC Tom

Friday, October 26, 2012 11:33 PM
  • Thank you for your reply Tom.  

Do you know if this will work for just a plain optical wheel mouse?  Budget cuts probably won't allow for new HW just for this purpose when the current HW used to work just fine.   I can try it for sure, but would rather not if it will not work with my current mouse.

In any event I now have a reference to work on if all else fails.

Thanks Again.

Cheers!

Burger2go

• Edited by burger2go Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:32 AM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:32 AM
  • If it's a Microsoft mouse, and the wheel tilts, I would think it would work OK, either as the default action, or through custom settings. I looked through all the commands for the wheel button and didn't see scrolling as an option, but that may or may not be because I have scrolling on tilting.

If the M&K Center software doesn't work for you, then you can uninstall it through Control Panel > Programs and Features. Be sure to have the installation file for your current Intellipoint version on hand so you can reinstall it afterwards. You can get v7.1 and v8.2 here: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/intellimouse
    (v7.1 was the last to support PS/2 connections, but works fine for USB and wireless.)

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by burger2go Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:33 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Hi All...

First my apologies for the lateness of this reply.  I lost track of wher ethis post was and could not find it.  Finally did manage to find it and now I can respond.

Thank you for your suggestions. The mouse I have does not have a tilting scroll wheel.  All I had to do in XP was to press down on the scroll wheel, and hold it while I moved the mouse sideways, and it scrolled inthe direction I moved the mouse. 

I tried downloading the drivers you have suggested but none of them work with a plain microsoft mouse ... model is basic optical mouse 1.0a.

I guess now I wil have to search for a better mouse.

Once again, thank you for trying.

Cheers!

Burger2g0

Burger2go

Monday, November 12, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Sorry it didn't work out. At least mice aren't too expensive, as long as they aren't aren't the ones with all the bells and whistles. Maybe you can convince the powers-that-be that new mice will help increase productivity :-)

SC Tom

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Hi Tom...

Ok, I broke down an bought a new mouse myself - actually 2 one for home and one for work. I figure if it helps me by not paining my arm to keep moving to the scroll bar, then its worth the investment.

Actually, I managed to find a good sale on the MS Comfort Mouse 4500 which normally sells for $35 here... for $9.99 at NCIX.  So at that price.. what the hey!  It has a tilt scroll wheel and is Win 7 compliant/certified .  I say GEFN.

Cheers!

Burger2go

Burger2go

• Marked as answer by burger2go Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:15 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:14 AM
  • $20 to help avoid CTS? Can't go wrong LOL!
    Enjoy!

SC Tom

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:11 PM
  • All I had to do in XP was to press down on the scroll wheel, and hold it while I moved the mouse sideways, and it scrolled inthe direction I moved the mouse. 

That is using Auto-Scroll by using Middleclick.   You should also be able to start Auto-Scroll vertically by the same procedure.   Does your mouse have its "Wheel click" configured for something else?

---

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Hi Robert...

After reading your post, I gave it a shot byunpluging new mouse, reinstalling the old one - plain optical mouse no tilt wheel.   It wound up reloading microsoft keyboard and mouse center (older version drivers - unexpectedly.  I set the middle click (scroll wheel) to auto scroll and tried it out.  did NOT work... no sideways movement on the screen occurred when holding the scroll wheel down and moving the mouse sideways.   

So unfortunately this suggestion did not work.   I beleive I had tried this before with same results, but just didn't remember, hence I gave it a shot (again apparently!) .
    Thanks anyways.

Cheers!

Burger2go

Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:50 PM
  • I set the middle click (scroll wheel) to auto scroll and tried it out.

The suggestion was to set it to  Middleclick  not anything else.   Then when you press the wheel down you should see the pointer change to the Auto-Scroll anchor; drag the pointer away from the anchor to make it start to Auto-scroll;  when the Auto-Scroll anchor has 4 points (or when it has only two points left and right) you should be able to drag the pointer away sideways and make the Auto-Scroll run in that direction.

Ref:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/help/support/troubleshooting/mouse/mouse

(do a Ctrl-f Find for Middle in there to help understand there may be compatibility issues in newer versions of IntelliPoint)

Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:58 AM