none
Startup script did not launch service in UAC enabled computers

Question

• Hello,

Could somebody help with one issue:

Thru domain GPO we assigned a startup script(.cmd file). GPO is linked to OU.

Inside script there is a command "net start SERVICE_A" that should start a specific service.

Problem is, that service did not start(after reboot) on servers where UAC(User Account Control) is enabled. For rest servers in the same OU, problem is not appeared, service is running after server reboot.

Could you please help me, how to avoid of this issue ?

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 8:39 AM

All replies

• > Problem is, that service did not start(after reboot) on servers where UAC(User Account Control) is enabled. For rest servers in the same OU, problem is not appeared, service is running after server reboot.

a) Add logging, at least stdout/stderr redirection to a file, and examine this file.
    b) If it is a startup script, it has nothing to deal with UAC - UAC does not affect the SYSTEM account under which startup scripts run.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Hi,
    Have you tried to disable UAC and then see if the service is started? And you could try another service to see if the same problem appears on the servers which UAC is enabled on.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 3:41 AM
  • Yes,

I have tried to disable it and it works. Service has started.

Like I wrote, we have many other servers in the same OU where GPO is linked. For those, where UAC is disabled everything is working well, service is starting on the base of script request. For UAC enabled servers it's not working.

I'm also wondering if there is some obstacles for SYSTEM account that is prevent of running a service.

I have set an error redirection. I will let you know the result after weekend's reboot of server.

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 12:16 PM
  • > Like I wrote, we have many other servers in the same OU where GPO is linked. For those, where UAC is disabled everything is working well, service is starting on the base of script request. For UAC enabled servers it's not working.

Like I wrote, if it really is a startup script UAC is not the issue.

> I have set an error redirection. I will let you know the result after weekend's reboot of server.

Ok, we'll sort this out :-)

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:45 AM
  • The issue was on script where condition was wrongly defined.

Thank you very much for your posts anyway.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 1:05 PM
  • Hi,
    Greatly hear that the root cause is found, and we would appreciate you to mark it as answer, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:05 AM