none
Downloading File in IE 9 causes the extension to change to .doc[1] RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to download a document on IE 9, the file extension changes to .doc[1]. I have not opened or saved the file before, so not sure what is causing the [1] to appear on the extension. Any help would be grateful.

Thanks,

D

Friday, December 5, 2014 1:43 PM

All replies

• When I attempt to download a document on IE 9, the file extension changes to .doc[1].

Are you sure it is the file extension which is changing?  I have seen that for files so if the file was really  text.doc.txt  and there was already one of those I would expect the new one to become named  text.doc[1].txt 

Also, check the headers that the file is coming with for clues.  To do that you need to use the Developer Tools, Network capture tool at the start of the download to see its Response headers.

Otherwise I would run ProcMon to try to understand what is going on.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, December 5, 2014 7:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Windows version...?

Is this a sudden, new problem or...?

When (exact date) was IE9 installed according to Installed Updates?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Friday, December 5, 2014 8:03 PM
  • When I attempt to download a document on IE 9, the file extension changes to .doc[1]. I have not opened or saved the file before, so not sure what is causing the [1] to appear on the extension. Any help would be grateful.

Thanks,

D

This could be due to a security or anti-virus/anti-malware product (e.g. the product is inspecting the downloaded file and renames the file) ?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, December 5, 2014 9:29 PM
  • Hi All,

Yes, I'm 100% sure its the extension that is changing. I've tried multiple files from csv, doc and xslx, docx, xsl and all the same issue. I'm on windows 7, and I've IE 9 was initially installed on 28/01/2012. I've even turned off my anti-virus and still the extension is being changed.

Monday, December 8, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Assuming Win7 SP1 (64-bit)...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 64-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade the computer to Win7?

2. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Is KB3003057, KB3006226, KB3010788, KB2992611, KB2993958, KB3005607, KB2978120, KB3003743, KB3002885 and/or KB3011780 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

6. Assuming Java is installed => Is Java Version 8 Update 25 (or higher) or Java Version 7 Update 71 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp [2]

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v15.0.0.239 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

8a. Has IE10 or IE11 ever been offered via Windows Update?

8b. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE9's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 9.0.54 (KB1231231) ?

8c. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; Glary Utilities; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component)?

==============================================
    [1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)
    [2] No need to install Java if it's not already installed!

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Monday, December 8, 2014 6:38 PM
  • Hi helpo11,

What is your current situation?

Does the file extension issue happen with all the downloaded files in Internet Explorer 9?

When did this thing happen?

Internet Explorer sets the file name extension of a downloaded file based on a few pieces of information available from the HTTP server and from the file itself.  See:

MIME-Handling Changes in Internet Explorer.

If issue still insists, and if we have backup available, please take use of the backup.

Or we may take a try to reset Internet Explorer 9, How to reset Internet Explorer settings .

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:53 AM

• 1a. Unknown. About 2-3 yrs ago

1b. Clean Install. 

2. Symantec Internet Security  Expire 2015

3. No

4. No

5. Yes

6. Java version 8 update 25 is installed

7. Flash Player version 16.0.0.235

8a. Yes but never installed

8b. Version: 9.0.33 (KB3003057)

8c.Yes, both

9. No.

I've even tried resteing my browser no luck

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:05 PM
  • My situation, is I'm still experiencing the issue. It doesn't happen to all sites but resetting the browser doesn't work all ready tried that.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:10 PM
  •  

@ASCC only: You will find Consumer support for IE9 by beginning your own, new thread in this forum => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9

Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:30 AM
  • Hi helpo112/ASCC,

Please show us the link where you downloaded the document, if convenient.

Run Internet Explorer without add-ons, first go to Start > Run, type iexplore –extoff and press Enter, then recheck this issue.

Further, also check this issue in clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:27 AM
  • Tried no one can give me an answer
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:47 PM
  • Site can't be accessed externally.

Tried all solutions and still same issue. I'm thinking I may just have to upgrade as IE 10 does not experience this issue.

Any other options would be great, as I'm all out of ideas.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:49 PM
  • Pleas post a link to your thread in the Consumer-specific forum.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:21 PM
  • I may just have to upgrade as IE 10 does not experience this issue.

You may was well upgrade to IE11 (though I'd very much doubt doing so will correct the behavior). After 12 January 2016, IE11 will be the only version supported in Win7 (i.e., no further security updates will be released for IE10 or lower). See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/07/stay-up-to-date-with-internet-explorer.aspx

Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:24 PM