none
Why "Hidden Taxonomy List" exists in site not using the terms?

Question

• I encountered an issue where "Hidden Taxonomy List" in a site blocked subsite to be created or content to be copied from another site, because user do not have access to the "Hidden Taxonomy List".

they are found via [siteurl/lists/taxonomyhiddenlist

But when I looked the content of the list, they are a few taxonomy terms from a term set that are used by other site collections.

Does anyone know why the list exist in this site even though the terms are never used in this site?

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hi QuickLaunch,

All the taxonomy items at the site collection level are stored in a hidden list called Taxonomy Hidden List.

The cause of this issue is that users have no appropriate permissions to this list. Please check the permission for this list, make sure that “Everyone” domain group has Read permission level to this taxonomy list. 

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:37 AM
  • Thanks for advise,  but my questions why is this list exist at all because this taxonomy term set is never used in this site collection
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:19 PM
  • Hi QuickLaunch,

Please check if the term set is a global term set. Global term sets are available for use across all sites that subscribe to a specific Managed Metadata Service application.

And when we are using a taxonomy term for the first time in any list in the site collection, that term gets added as an item in the taxonomy hidden list. The hidden list has these terms until we delete the terms in this list manually.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:07 AM