none
UAG vs TMG - OCS 2007 R2 and Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• The following is our scenario...we are looking at implementing either a standalone TMG Array, or a standalone UAG Array to perform the following:

1) Exchange 2010 Publishing

2) Sharepoint Publishing

3) OCS Reverse Proxy(Along with a separate OCS Edge Server for 2007 R2)

I know that Sharepoint as well as Exchange Publishing can be done as I have downloaded the UAG Content Guides.  I have found the following article that appears to state that OCS Publishing(Reverse Proxy) is NOT supported with UAG...but TMG should be used. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee522953.aspx

We would prefer to deploy a UAG Array vs. the TMG Array, as using the TMG as a reverse proxy is supported but not recommended and we have no desire to use the TMG Internet Proxy feature.

Please let me know if anyone can make sense of this,

Justin

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:37 PM

Answers

• Get some UAG's.   UAG's include an embedded copy of TMG.   Use the UAG interface and direct UAG features to publish Exchange 2010 and SharePoint.   I'm not sure if UAG can be used as as OCS proxy or not, never tried, but if not the article you referenced clearly says you are allowed to manually use the embedded TMG to publish OCS.   So worst case, you fire up the TMG gui on teh UAG server, and configure your OCS proxy.  You can do everything you want without a separate installation of TMG...

Thanks,

Mark

• Marked as answer by JCred101 Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:37 PM

All replies

• Get some UAG's.   UAG's include an embedded copy of TMG.   Use the UAG interface and direct UAG features to publish Exchange 2010 and SharePoint.   I'm not sure if UAG can be used as as OCS proxy or not, never tried, but if not the article you referenced clearly says you are allowed to manually use the embedded TMG to publish OCS.   So worst case, you fire up the TMG gui on teh UAG server, and configure your OCS proxy.  You can do everything you want without a separate installation of TMG...

Thanks,

Mark

• Marked as answer by JCred101 Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Thanks Mark...upon reading your response I noticed I misread the link above and could have answered this myself.  Thanks again!
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:05 PM