Word 2003 slow to open a document on a network share RRS feed

• Question

• I've had this problem before, several years ago, and worked very hard to fix it. I'm running Win7 (64 bit) on an office network and trying to load MS-Word documents that live on a NAS unit. Documents on the NAS open and load normally on my Win8.1 laptop but documents loaded from other machines (all Win7) take many minutes to load completely.  Windows says Word is not responding during the time waiting, but if you wait long enough it will eventually finish.

Both computers are in the same workgroup and normal.dot is a local copy on each although the worksgroup temlplates reside on the NAS also. Many people have experienced similar problems and many solutions have been offered. I've tried some with no success so far. but the solution I originally used involved uninstalling a particular Windows Update. I made notes about the fix but have lost them. The update may have been reinstalled while I wasn't looking, so to speak.

Does anyone on this forum recall a Windows update that exhibited problems of this nature?

Thanks,

Dave

• Edited by ABP_Hmer Wednesday, June 8, 2016 10:10 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 9:58 PM

Answers

• When you start Word, it gathers information to use for document formatting and printing operations. If the files, drivers, or fonts are damaged, missing, or located on a remote server, Word can require more time to connect to the server and gather the information that it needs. If Word starts very slowly, or other operations, such as opening or printing documents, also are very slow, this may be due to any one or more of:
    • Microsoft Windows using a printer driver located on a network print server, instead of a local printer driver on your hard disk. When you use a remote printer driver, you may notice that it takes longer to change your default printer setting, and sometimes Word may print documents more slowly than you may expect.
    • Fonts that are used in the Word document are damaged or missing from the system, and Word cannot substitute other fonts in the document.
    To resolve these issues, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280821

When you open a Microsoft Word document when connected to a network, it may take longer than expected to open if the document has a template attached or linked and one of the following conditions is true:
    • The attached template, its folder, or its share is missing.
    • The attached template has been moved.
    • The attached template has been renamed.
    • A linked file referenced by the document is missing, has been moved or renamed.
    When a Word template is missing, Windows XP will try to locate the missing template multiple times. The process of locating a missing template may cause a Word document to take longer than expected to open.
    To resolve the template issues, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830561

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 10:18 PM
  • So how would one go about determining what the problem might be with this template? I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to recreate it from a fresh, empty document.

You might try opening the template for editing and checking both its code (for invalid/outdated references, etc.) and content. Creating a new document from the template might also reveal some issues, as might saving, closing then re-opening that new document. If the new document performs OK, that suggests your other document paths to the template need updating.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, June 10, 2016 2:40 AM

All replies

• When you start Word, it gathers information to use for document formatting and printing operations. If the files, drivers, or fonts are damaged, missing, or located on a remote server, Word can require more time to connect to the server and gather the information that it needs. If Word starts very slowly, or other operations, such as opening or printing documents, also are very slow, this may be due to any one or more of:
    • Microsoft Windows using a printer driver located on a network print server, instead of a local printer driver on your hard disk. When you use a remote printer driver, you may notice that it takes longer to change your default printer setting, and sometimes Word may print documents more slowly than you may expect.
    • Fonts that are used in the Word document are damaged or missing from the system, and Word cannot substitute other fonts in the document.
    To resolve these issues, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280821

When you open a Microsoft Word document when connected to a network, it may take longer than expected to open if the document has a template attached or linked and one of the following conditions is true:
    • The attached template, its folder, or its share is missing.
    • The attached template has been moved.
    • The attached template has been renamed.
    • A linked file referenced by the document is missing, has been moved or renamed.
    When a Word template is missing, Windows XP will try to locate the missing template multiple times. The process of locating a missing template may cause a Word document to take longer than expected to open.
    To resolve the template issues, see: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830561

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 10:18 PM
  • If issue persists after checking all the aspects mentioned by Paul above, I'd suggest you try to run Network Monitor which might give us an idea on what's really going on:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 9, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Today I noted another aspect of this issue that might bear on the solution. There are several computers on this network that are experiencing this issue. It has to do with a certain template that resides on the NAS share. This template contains some VBA code that populates forms throughout the finished document. The template is about 400 K in size. The slow loading occurs on the Win7 machines and on my Win81. laptop, using either wired or wifi connections to the shared folder

We use several very similar templates (similar code, similar size) for other sets of forms but these load fairly quickly.  The templates, all of the ones we use, are on the NAS share and have always been there. All copies of MS Word have the  NAS share defined in Word's Option/File Locations properties box. 

So how would one go about determining what the problem might be with this template? I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to recreate it from a fresh, empty document.

Thanks for your help so far...

Alaska Dave

Friday, June 10, 2016 1:15 AM
  • So how would one go about determining what the problem might be with this template? I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to recreate it from a fresh, empty document.

You might try opening the template for editing and checking both its code (for invalid/outdated references, etc.) and content. Creating a new document from the template might also reveal some issues, as might saving, closing then re-opening that new document. If the new document performs OK, that suggests your other document paths to the template need updating.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, June 10, 2016 2:40 AM
  • Thanks for your continued help. 

I recreated the troublesome template and cleaned up some file fragments left over from previous Word crashes (or some other causes) on our network attached storage drive and that has helped quite a bit. Older Documents based on the faulty template still open slower than new docs but we can live with that issue.

I'm satisfied for now.

Thanks again.

Alaska Dave

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 4:16 PM
  • The process of locating a missing template may cause a Word document to take longer than expected to open.

To resolve the template issues, see: (Unable to post URL)

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

This issue still affects Office 2016, however I'm unable to see the solution as I get a "Page not found" error is there a new link to this solution available?

Regards

James

• Edited by James Clinton Monday, October 8, 2018 10:16 AM update missing url reason
    Monday, October 8, 2018 10:15 AM
  • You can see what that link contained at:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20131028190313/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830561

For a macro to update the template paths in all except documents with protection for opening or updating following a server change, see:
    http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=14499

If you're opening the file from a completely different location (e.g. at home instead of at work), simply disconnecting from the internet while opening the file can improve performance.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Edited by macropodMVP Monday, October 8, 2018 10:55 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2018 10:54 AM
  • The problem was caused by an update called Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in (KB2501584). After I uninstalled this everything works as it should. Sometimes KB2501584 reappears during normal update procedures and when it does I simply uninstall it. I'm running MS-Word 2003 and have no idea whether this fix will work for any other version.  Also, the affected computers were running Windows 7. Most of our machines are now running Win 10 but IRRC, I had to do this again recently.

Best,

Dave

Alaska Dave

• Edited by ABP_Hmer Monday, October 8, 2018 11:44 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2018 11:43 AM
  • For the specific problem with the Office File Validation Addin, the following KB article and registry change may be relevant: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2570623

Peter Jamieson

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 7:44 AM
  • Thanks Peter,

I'm in Thailand for the next 6 months and the computers in question are in Alaska so I can't test your method at the moment. If the problem reappears on the Win10 machines next summer, I'll give it a go.

Dave

Alaska Dave

• Edited by ABP_Hmer Tuesday, October 9, 2018 8:36 AM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2018 8:34 AM