none
DPM 2010 Disk Management RRS feed

• Question

• I had been running DPM 2007 for about a month before rebuilding the server it was on and installing DPM 2010 fresh, and I pointed it to the same storage pool as my 2007 installation (thinking it was smart enough to scan the disk for the old recovery points and kind of pick up where it left off, so to speak.

It didn't, so now I want to clean up the old partitions that are still there on the storage pool. I have already removed all of the partitions with the old servernames in the partition description, but I have some partitions that I'm not sure about. DPM is the only thing that is installed on this server.

I have some no-name partitions, 1 basic and 3 dynamic (with RAW file system), all with 100% free space on them. Are these from DPM and/or can I safely delete these?

I have a bunch of "DPM-C:\ on servername" type partitions, are these the current in-use partitions, since these have the names of what I'm backing up, or are these the old ones? (this part is hard because I'm backing up the same servers as I was with 2007)

I have 10 partitions that are labeled "DPM-Non VSS Datasource Writ" which I'm not sure about, and Google searches don't return much on them.

I have 16 partitions that are labeled "DPM-vol_random letters/numbers" Example: "DPM-vol_3d2ca81f-f2f5-4a97-". I believe these are the ones currently in use, based on this previous response: /Forums/en-US/dpmstorage/thread/ff8f032a-c1f2-4059-a670-3c08e9649ee6

I have this powershell command that I found through some online searches to give me a list of currently in-use partitions, but the numbers don't match up with anything I'm seeing in the storage management of the server: 

osql -E -S localhost\MSDPM2010 -d DPMDB -Q "select vol.GuidName from tbl_IM_DataSource as ds join tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica as lr on ds.DataSourceId=lr.DataSourceId join tbl_AM_Server as ag on ds.ServerId=ag.ServerId join tbl_SPM_Volume as vol on lr.PhysicalReplicaId=vol.VolumeSetID and vol.Usage in (1,2) order by vol.guidname"

Is there a powershell script or some way I can get a list of currently used volumes DPM has created, so I can delete the other stuff on the storage volume, or can someone that is more familiar with DPM let me know what would be safe to delete from the stuff above?

And also, is there a way to clean up the server manager's disk management view so that it puts all of the unallocated space at the end, instead of keeping it mixed in with the used partitions? I'm sure that's a Windows thing and not a DPM thing, but even creating 1 basic partition keeps all of the space mixed in with the other partitions on the storage volume. After I deleted the old partitions, the space is all mixed in with the in use partitions. This is more of a Windows question, as it pertains to the Windows 2008 server disk management.

Thank you very much for any help, and sorry this is so long, but I wanted to get all of the information down.

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Squirreljester,

There's a few considerations with upgrades and rebuilds. In this case, unfortunately it sounds like you didn't backup the DPM database before the rebuild. A restored DB could potentially recognise the old recovery points, although in practice, I've found it can be better to remove the recovery points and replicas and then backup the DB (for historic/tape data). Once rebuilt, restoring the DB retains the historical data without the various challenges that old VSS snapshots can present.

Mixing the old volumes with new is certainly messy! You've mentioned a number of typical volume names for DPM, but I appreciate the difficulty you face in removing the old ones without affecting the new. I suspect the Get-DPMVolume cmdlet may be of help - see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb842063.aspx. From memory, this didn't change between 2007 and 2010 (2012 adds the -AlreadyInUseByDPM switch).

Alternatively, you could try the SQL query posted by Mike here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/dataprotectionmanager/thread/20f1550c-d860-4416-8a3b-fed34b5c893d  (also note that your above osql command isn't actually Powershell. osql is a command line query tool for SQL Server)

In terms of the rest of your questions; DPM typically manages the disks added to its storage pool. As a rule, the volumes will be created as dynamic. They will use contiguous space where possible, but can span disks. From DPM 2010, there was support added for shrinking and auto-expanding volumes.

This can all come together to make for a "messy" disk management view .. but it's absolutely normal behaviour for DPM. There is no supported way to 'clean up' when DPM is allowed to manage its own storage .. and to be honest, DPM is best left to manage it. Any empty space you see will ultimately get used as you add protected data sources, or as volumes are expanded.

One important note - you really shouldn't create partitions manually in your storage pool. DPM cannot use these for protection and it will reduce the storage pool size. If your intent is to use custom volumes for DPM protection, these should not sit within your storage pool.

I hope this is of assistance!

Matt

AuTechHeads - a group of geeks, by geeks, and for geeks. Join us online now at www.autechheads.com!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:47 AM