PowerShell Build Number Changes Unexpectedly RRS feed

• Question

• I'm noticing that on several of my Win7 machines, the PowerShell v5.1 build versions are bumping on their own and I'm not sure why.  I suspect a security patch but can't find any that, at least obviously, could potentially be doing this.

DETAILS:

• Install WMF v5.1 RTM on a Win7 host.
    • Validate the PSVersion = 5.1.14409.1005
    • Leave the computer running and check the next day (no reboot or logoff).
    • Validate that now, PSVersion = 5.1.14409.1012

Can anyone out there explain why this is happening?  I see posts online about people running PSVersion 5.1.14409.1012 all over the place, but nobody is posting specifically about this version bump.  It's as if the version changes, but either nobody really cares to know why, or nobody is even paying attention to it.

If it is a patch, that would be interesting since Microsoft states that WMF updates are not to be rolled out via the update service for Win7, yet, this is exactly what appears to be happening.  

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this strange issue.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:53 PM

Answers

• FYI - Based on some additional analysis, we believe the bump in PSVersion is due to KB4025337.  Within the description of this KB, PowerShell is listed as one of the products updated.
    • Proposed as answer by Kurt B. Mayer Friday, December 13, 2019 11:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by jrv Saturday, December 14, 2019 3:54 AM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

I can't say I know the cause - I never noticed anything of the like myself. That said, Microsoft Update Policy is that they may at any time directly silently push critical security updates to all computers.

Can't offer more than this speculation, sorry.
    Anybody here with hard facts?

Cheers,
    Fred

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:09 PM
  • FYI - Based on some additional analysis, we believe the bump in PSVersion is due to KB4025337.  Within the description of this KB, PowerShell is listed as one of the products updated.
    • Proposed as answer by Kurt B. Mayer Friday, December 13, 2019 11:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by jrv Saturday, December 14, 2019 3:54 AM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:32 PM
  • Yes.  PowerShell can  be updated by security and system patches. 

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:39 PM