Black screen with cursor while trying to get to windows repair using installation disk, RRS feed

• Question

• Hi , a client brought me a Toshiba L750 laptop that he said wouldn't start up. He told me he had taken it to a computer shop and they had told him he needed a new hard drive and asked me if i could check what the problem was. I turned it on as it said the boot manager was missing so i thought easy repair.

- I put in a windows 7 installation disk to do a repair on the boot manager.
    - It loads the files , shows the windows logo and then just stops on a black screen with a movable cursor.

Now Ive seen the dreaded black screen with cursor happen before on several versions of windows when booting up from the hard drive but never when booting up from an installation disk.

I tried a windows install from a USB, i tried windows PE from a disk and i tried a windows 7 repair disk. Each time the it gets to the windows logo screen (with the moving colored balls, Windows is starting) and then the screen goes black and the cursor appears.

This has me stumped, does anyone have any ideas?

• Edited by D.Winship Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:06 PM
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Could it boot in Safe Mode?

If it still oould not, I suspect the hardware might damage.

The only solution is change a new hard drive, and then reinstall the operating system.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by 暁北 Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:50 PM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could it boot in Safe Mode?

If it still oould not, I suspect the hardware might damage.

The only solution is change a new hard drive, and then reinstall the operating system.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by 暁北 Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:50 PM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 9:46 AM
  • Yes the drive was damaged beyond use. A new drive fixed the problem.
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:02 PM