none
Unable to reverse replication (Replica server failed to authorize the connection)

Question

• Hello!
    I'm working on a project that will require me to fail a LOT of Hyper-V VMs from one host to another at hundreds of remote sites.

Hosts are all on Server 2012 (not r2), domain joined, and I have local admin rights on all boxes, using a domain account.

I'm transferring VMName from Host02 to Host01, as part of the following test:

During prep testing, I've found that quite a few that are replicating without any issue whatsoever, but when I try to reverse the replication, I receive an error saying, 

Replica server 'HOST02' failed to authorize the connection. Check the Replica server for appropriate access permissions

(Event ID 29232 on Host01) and, 

Hyper-V failed to enable reverse replication for 'VMName': General access denied error (0x80070005). (Virtual Machine ID 9A0D1D89-554A-4B46-996B-EC047601DC06)

(Event ID 32068 on Host01) With the additional info on the popup in the Reverse replication wizard:

"Replica server Host02 failed to authorize the connection. Check the Replica server for appropriate access permissions"

I did read this post (Link is below, can't post links yet), but I don't have event ID 29284.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/c41ee7be-4fa2-47f7-a14c-170fbbb36ee6/alternative-reason-for-replica-server-failed-to-authorized-the-connection-error-80070005?forum=winserverhyperv

Any ideas?

• Edited by joshbgosh10592 Thursday, December 6, 2018 4:16 PM Added more about my environment
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Based on my experience, please first run a test failover for a VM to check if the replication configuration is correctly set such as authentication. If it would successfully generate a test VM on local host, it indicates the replication is configured correctly on local, just related to a network issue. 

Furthermore, we could check "Health status" of the replication to see if any other information regarding the issue.

Also we could run a "Planned failover" for a VM on the replica server to check if it can reverse to primary particularly. 

Besides, we need to check if the intermediate network devices between the two hosts to set any security policy or filter to block Hyper-V specific traffic (authentication for replication).

Highly appreciate your effort and time, if you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael  

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 7, 2018 4:54 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Sunday, December 9, 2018 3:21 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 10:02 AM