Exchange 2010 Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hai. I am using DPM 2010 for my Exchange Server 2010 Database. I have configured the DPM as below,

I use disk based protection and configured Below

Retention Days : 5

Sychronization Frequence: Every 6 Hours

Full Express Backup: Every Saturday 6:00 PM

I assume the Backup process will happen,

The saturday 6:00PM will be created Replica in my Storage and every 6 hours an recovery point will be created for next 5 days like  below

Saturday - Full Backup. 

Day1 Sunday - No Full Backup

Day2 Monday - No Full Backup

Day3 Thursday - No Full Backup

Day4 Friday - No Full Backup

Day5 Saturday - Create new replica and delete Existing replica and recovery points

Is it correct???

If it is so, If I want to restore a mailbx from 2 weeks back, then what i should do?? How do i restore?

Pls tell the Backup process will happen?? if an rong?? pls

Pls tell how the Backup process works?? How i want to configure I have 35 TB in my storage where that data is 1000 GB.

How i should utilize the storage and DPM more efficiently???

Chandru CT. MCITP
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:17 PM

Answers

• Jader has explained the process. About the DMP i would suggest to ask DPM team regarding best way to utilize the product.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/threads
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/255bd569-dbf2-4f4b-9876-526251c12adb/

Let us know if you have any question. 

Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.Blogspot.com
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:02 AM
  • 1. Just to add, you should not only consider your backups but your restores too.  What I'm getting to is that, it's not how you utilise the product only, it should be based on your business requirements which you must meet, i,e your RPO/RTO.  There is no pint having backups without considering restores and testing this procedure.  Also,if you cant meet the RPO/RTO, then it's pointless as it will already have a business impact which may have consequences such as financial loss.

2. If you have no RPO/RTO specified then, mayeb you should to cover yourself from the technical side.  But 'd still test your backups, they're no good if you dont.

Sukh
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 11:01 AM

All replies

• A full backup creates a new .edb file that would be your starting point. An incremental backup copies the .log files. So the way that you restore to a point back in time, is by picking a full backup which happened before that point, and then replaying in the log files up to the point you want to restore to.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Jader has explained the process. About the DMP i would suggest to ask DPM team regarding best way to utilize the product.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/threads
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/255bd569-dbf2-4f4b-9876-526251c12adb/

Let us know if you have any question. 

Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.Blogspot.com
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:02 AM
  • 1. Just to add, you should not only consider your backups but your restores too.  What I'm getting to is that, it's not how you utilise the product only, it should be based on your business requirements which you must meet, i,e your RPO/RTO.  There is no pint having backups without considering restores and testing this procedure.  Also,if you cant meet the RPO/RTO, then it's pointless as it will already have a business impact which may have consequences such as financial loss.

2. If you have no RPO/RTO specified then, mayeb you should to cover yourself from the technical side.  But 'd still test your backups, they're no good if you dont.

Sukh
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 11:01 AM