When logging into Windows 10 1803, the screen will flicker black. Looking at event viewer, explorer.exe is crashing. RRS feed

• Question

• Explorer.exe is crashing and restarting when logging into Windows.  I have the event logs captured.  It does not happen every time I log into Windows. The version of Windows I am  using is Windows 10 1803.

I have tried running SFC /SCANNOW, DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth , and re-installing Windows 1803 from the .ISO.  Issue still occurs.  Windows is installed on a Virtual Desktop on VMware Host. 

Only workaround I have is to press "ctl + alt + del" and go to log off.  Then I can log back in and the issue may or may not return.

Event Viewer Log:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0x425b30b2

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.1, time stamp: 0x207580e2

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x000000000008aa2f

Faulting process id: 0x1270

Faulting application start time: 0x01d51a0d6f967ef5

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 886d5638-e5c7-42bf-b168-8c2b69c764a1

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Monday, June 3, 2019 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Try booting into Safe Mode:

1. Right click Start Button and select Settings.

2. Go to Update & Security > Recovery.

3. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.

4. Once your PC restarts and you see Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

5. Then after reboot, press 4 or F4 to start your system in Safe Mode.

If issue isn't present in Safe Mode, reboot back to normal and see if the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Monday, June 3, 2019 3:38 PM
  • The issue has not been present in safe mode. However, it does reappear after I boot into Windows with normal startup. The issue is random and does not happen every time.

I have tried disable all startup items, Re-installing VMware SVGA 3D Display Driver, and deleting Active Setup keys from the registry. Issue is still present.

Monday, June 3, 2019 9:04 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Create a new account then clean boot to check result.

Also, try to repair upgrade or in-place upgrade to the latest 1903 version.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 1:41 AM
  • This is a domain joined Virtual Machine.  The issue will reappear if a new user logs in. 

I was trying to get this resolved without going to a higher version of Windows 10 since this was a Virtual Desktop.  We are using VMware Horizon View 7.4 and Windows 10 1803 is the highest version of Windows that our current version supports. 

Usually when the issue is happening, I can get to the Task Manager but Ending or Restarting Windows Explorer does not work since explorer.exe is in a crash/restart loop.

The current Display Driver is the Driver that gets installed with the VMware View Agent, VMware SVGA 3D, version 8.15.1.60.  I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the Driver. The issue still happens.  It does not happen every time I log on but at random.  Enough to cause an issue if I wanted to deploy this Parent Image build to our users.

I can upload logs and some dump files if those could be analyzed.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

Did you manage to get this resolved? We are having the exact same issue with an 1803 build on Horizon 7.5

Cheers,

Stuart.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:29 PM
  • This is not happening only with Windows 10 1803 but also with Windows 10 1903 Virtual Machines boxes. If we can get a solution on this that would be great
    Monday, July 20, 2020 10:31 PM