MSSQL 2016: Discovery failed - Event ID: 7105 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

We have next equipments - 

Server  Operations Manager 2016 (UR5)

Cluster SQL servers - db2, db3 (SQL - 2016)

We imported Management Pack for SQL Server 2016 and we have next error - 

Event ID: 7105. Management Group: ******. Script: ModuleAction Module: GeneralAlwaysOnDiscovery.ps1 Version: 7.0.7.0 : Error occurred during Always On discovery.
    Computer: *********-DB2
    Reason: Unable to get AlwaysOn Replica's host FQDN. Attempt log:
    Unable to get FQDN via DNS using name '*******-DB3': Returned name '*******-db3' is not FQDN
    Unable to get FQDN via WMI using name '*******-DB3': Cannot validate argument on parameter 'ComputerName'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.
    Unable to get FQDN via WMI using host address '*******-DB3.rimera.com' and server name '*******-DB3': Access denied
    Position:383
    Offset:2
    Instance:****_CLUSTER_1C
    Detailed error output: Unable to get AlwaysOn Replica's host FQDN. Attempt log:
    Unable to get FQDN via DNS using name '*******-DB3': Returned name '*******-db3' is not FQDN
    Unable to get FQDN via WMI using name '*******-DB3': Cannot validate argument on parameter 'ComputerName'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.
    Unable to get FQDN via WMI using host address '*******-DB3.rimera.com' and server name '*******-DB3': Access denied
    --------
    Access denied
    --------
    Access denied
    --------
    Access denied
    --------
    Cannot validate argument on parameter 'ComputerName'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.
    --------
    Cannot validate argument on parameter 'ComputerName'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.
    --------
    --------
    Returned name '*******-db3' is not FQDN
    --------
    Property *******-DB3_fqdn_CreationTime does not exist at path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Modules\{685BAFAC-359A-DD5A-1FD1-A127EDCED931}\S-1-5-18\Script\SQL2016MP\SqlHostNames.
    --------
    Cannot find path 'HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\ClientSetup\' because it does not exist.
    --------
    Cannot find path 'HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\ClientSetup\' because it does not exist.
    --------
    Property SQLPath does not exist at path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\ClientSetup\.
    --------
    Property SQLPath does not exist at path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\ClientSetup\.
    --------
    Cannot find path 'HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\ClientSetup\' because it does not exist.

What can I do that resolve this error?

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:58 AM

Answers

• So after countless troubleshooting with Microsoft, it seems like the issue is that I have the run as  profiles targeting a group of SQL DB Engines instead of computer objects.   If we add the computer object to the group, everything works.  This of course does not explain why some servers work and some don't as they are all setup the same.  However, this seems to be the fix. 
    Monday, October 8, 2018 2:14 PM

All replies

• I am getting something similar with some of our Always -on SQL 2016 and 2014 servers.  I have an open case with Microsoft. I will report back any findings. 
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:40 PM
  • Thank you. I will wait response from you.
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:52 AM
  • Hello.

Do you receive any answer from Microsoft about problem? 

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:46 AM
  • Hi, nothing as of yet. We are still troubleshooting. 
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 11:31 AM
  • Hi all, if you are still experiencing the mentioned problem, please email us at SQLMPsFeedback@microsoft.com with some details on the problem.
    Friday, August 17, 2018 10:17 AM
  • So after countless troubleshooting with Microsoft, it seems like the issue is that I have the run as  profiles targeting a group of SQL DB Engines instead of computer objects.   If we add the computer object to the group, everything works.  This of course does not explain why some servers work and some don't as they are all setup the same.  However, this seems to be the fix. 
    Monday, October 8, 2018 2:14 PM

Great! Thanks for updating. Sure help a lot of people.

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Monday, October 8, 2018 2:23 PM
  • Hello.

Can you explain more detail please? In Which groups do we need to add the computer object? Thank you.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 3:38 AM
  • Personally, I would recommend SID monitoring instead of Run As accounts. As it is more simple toand also more secure.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2016/08/25/sql-mp-run-as-accounts-no-longer-required-2/

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 1:35 PM
  • In our environment we have multiple domains that do not have two way trusts.  Therefore, I need to have a separate Domain SQL account for each individual domain. So I had to create SCOM groups that have SQL DB Engines objects and not computer objects  for each separate domain, so that for each  SQL run as profile, I can deploy the proper domain SQL account to the proper domain group.  I have the groups based on dynamic membership by domain, but again they are SQL DB Engine objects.  So in the end, I had to manually add the COMPUTER object for each always on server node to the group. 
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 2:38 PM
  • Not using run as profiles/account is the whole point of using service SID.

Since service SID is local to every server, there shouldn't be any domain or trust issue!

Also you can create dynamic groups of containing or contained objects (computers containing db engines, in your case). You have several blog articles about of this, here for example http://syscentercldman.blogspot.com/2016/01/scom-advanced-dynamic-group-membership.html

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 3:00 PM
  • We don't have a standard for DB server names and that is why I chose the  DB engine.  We also have a couple hundred DB servers, so I didn't want to go back and edit every single DB and reboot. I will check out your blog, thanks!   
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 3:03 PM
  • It would be a dynamic group based on "a db engine exists on this computer, so this computer is added to the group". No need to have a standard for DB server names!
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 3:07 PM