none
Cannot join a Homegroup RRS feed

• Question

• I create a HomeGroup in one of Windows 10 computers and want to join it from another Windows 10 computer. The Homegroup is identified,  but after I enter the Homegroup password, the system waits for several minutes and then comes up with the message "Windows encountered an error" without giving any details about the nature of this error and the troubleshooter doesn't identify a problem. I tried it several times in both directions without a success.

The discovery is on and works OK, since I can see another computer and even can read a shared folder defined with "Read" permission for Everyone.

Both computers have also Windows 7,  installed on a different partition, and I can connect from Windows 10 to Window 7 homegroup in both directions without  a problem.

Thanks for your so much expected assistance.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 5:23 AM

Answers

• It's all right now. I tried another day and it connected without a problem. To be honest, I really don't know, how it happened. The only think I noticed is that the message was different. First time (when it failed) the message was something like ".... created a HomeGroup. Join Homegroup", the second time it didn't specify what HomeGroup I was going to join, just "Join Homegroup". Maybe this can bring light.

Thanks for your time and effort.

• Marked as answer by pcyanide Monday, September 7, 2015 9:37 PM
    Monday, September 7, 2015 9:37 PM

All replies

• Run Windows Update on Windows 10 PC and install all updates and then restart your PC.

When this error occurred, check event viewer and see if there is any other error associated with these.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 11:08 PM
  • Check the desktop to confirm if Windows Firewall is turn off or disabled the related policy, then you may try again.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

Add information,

See this article to troubleshoot:

Why can't I join a homegroup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-can-t-I-join-a-homegroup

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 4, 2015 9:13 AM
  • It's all right now. I tried another day and it connected without a problem. To be honest, I really don't know, how it happened. The only think I noticed is that the message was different. First time (when it failed) the message was something like ".... created a HomeGroup. Join Homegroup", the second time it didn't specify what HomeGroup I was going to join, just "Join Homegroup". Maybe this can bring light.

Thanks for your time and effort.

• Marked as answer by pcyanide Monday, September 7, 2015 9:37 PM
    Monday, September 7, 2015 9:37 PM