Sql 2008 r2+wss3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server with wss 3 installed on it,wanted to access its database ,so installed sql server 2008 r2 on it,but when i try to open the instance sharepoint\microsoft##SSEE,I get error Cannot connect to SHAREPOINT\MICROSOFT##SSEE.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

though when i try to login with other instance ,as sharepoint\bdc i could connect

Sunday, October 31, 2010 12:47 PM

Answers

• Hi sal amer,

This error usually means something stopped SQL Server from a accepting your connection request. This could be a network issue or it could be that SQL Server was overwhelmed with connections that were not closed(by your application) or that it has too many resource intensive queries going on to accept new connections.

See if your network card or network access is opening and closing. If this issue doesn’t happen often it can either be a really resource intensive query or stored procedure running on your SQL Server or the network itself has intermitant problems.

You should have to open up SQL Server Profiler and set a filter on CPU cycles above a certain value(usually 50 to 100)to catch only resource intensive activities.

Hope this could help you.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by David HM Friday, November 12, 2010 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:02 AM

All replies

• Couple of scenarios:

1. Make sure SQL Server Service (SQL Server MSSQLSERVER) is running by looking at windows services.

2. App Pool user has proper access to SharePoint config db and content db.

Most probably that error was due to sql server service is not running.

Hope this helps!

Suman Pradhan
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Hi sal amer,

This error usually means something stopped SQL Server from a accepting your connection request. This could be a network issue or it could be that SQL Server was overwhelmed with connections that were not closed(by your application) or that it has too many resource intensive queries going on to accept new connections.

See if your network card or network access is opening and closing. If this issue doesn’t happen often it can either be a really resource intensive query or stored procedure running on your SQL Server or the network itself has intermitant problems.

You should have to open up SQL Server Profiler and set a filter on CPU cycles above a certain value(usually 50 to 100)to catch only resource intensive activities.

Hope this could help you.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by David HM Friday, November 12, 2010 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Follow the process mentioned here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dhirajm/archive/2009/01/26/how-to-connect-sql-embedded-edition-to-sql-management-studio.aspx

Sameer Dhoot
    My Blog : http://sharemypoint.in/

Did I answer your question? If YES, Mark as Answer. If NO, reply with details to continue dialogue.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:10 AM