Problem Creating Multiple Profiles in Outlook 365 RRS feed

• Question

• At my work we have a few systems that users log into with one generic account but each user has their own Exchange account. I am aware that with Exchange/Outlook 2016 the profiles are created by default using AutoDiscovery. The problem I have is that we need to be able to create additional profiles where we can manually specify the account information (using the account wizard).

I thought I had found the solution based on this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4046818/zeroconfigexchange-outlook-manually-create-additional-profile

But after using group policy to push the key (and it is present on the system) the end result is still the same: when you create a new profile using the control panel Mail applet it still uses AutoDiscovery.

And now the really odd part. I stumbled across a bug maybe? I found that if I keep running the profile wizard after the 2nd time I will then actually get the account wizard and can specify the user's email account and credentials. This does work as I've tested it. This also works on systems that do not have the ZeroConfigExchangeOnce key listed in the article I put above.

My questions are:

Has anyone been able to get the profile wizard to work correctly according to the article I listed?

Is it actually a bug I found that I can just run the Add new profile a 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.. time and I am able to manually specify the user's account information?

Thanks

• Edited by Felkis Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:51 PM edit title
    • Moved by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:13 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Felkis,

From your description, you want to manually configure Exchange accounts without AutoDiscover, right?

Zeroconfigexchangeonce key is normally used to create a new profile without using the New Account wizard. No user interface appears as the profile is created. This key will be ignored after the first profile has been successfully created. It is not related to AD.

According to my research, Exchange accounts can only be added to Outlook 2016 using auto account setup. AutoDiscover is important as it contains the connection information so that Outlook can automatically and reliably connect with Exchange.  Although previous versions allowed for advanced configuration to connect to Exchange without Autodiscover, this resulted in several features (like OAB/Free-Busy/etc) being broken. That's why this behavior was changed in Outlook 2016.

Here is an article for your reference.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Thank you for your understanding and support.

If you have more concern, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:13 AM
  • Which exact build number of Outlook 2016 are you using?
    File-> Office Account

When using Office 365, you'll need at least version 1708 (Build 8431.2079). For an MSI-based installation, you'll need at least build 16.0.4615.1000.

Yes, it is normal that you can add multiple Exchange accounts within a single Mail Profile and get prompted even with the ZeroConfigExchange key as adding your own account twice within a single profile wouldn't make any sense ;-)

@Perry
    No, that is not what is being asked here. This is about bypassing a fully silent auto-configuration of an Outlook Mail Profile when creating a second Mail Profile.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:58 AM
  • Hi Perry, I don't think you looked at the link I posted, my understanding of that article is it works the opposite of how you think. From the article (specifically the More Information section):

To create additional profiles without the intervention of ZeroConfigExchange, add the ZeroConfigExchangeOnce registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps:

1. In Registry Editor, browse to the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover
    2. Create a DWORD value that has the following name and value:
      Name: ZeroConfigExchangeOnce
      Value: 1

More information

After you add ZeroConfigExchangeOnce, ZeroConfigExchange still controls the automatic creation of the first profile. After the first profile is automatically created, you can manually create additional profiles that connect to different exchange accounts.

• Edited by Felkis Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 1:41 PM
  • Hi Robert,

We're using the C2R version, our base  version of Office is currently 1709 (Build 8528.2147) but I've also tried this on a few 1803 office builds. (same results)

My understanding of adding the ZeroConfigExchangeOnce key per that article is that after the first profile is made using AutoDiscovery it should then prompt me with the Add Account wizard for manual configuration settings as there is already a profile created using AutoDiscovery  It's created automatically the first time a user runs Outlook on their system.

There's 3 values I've found that can be present in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover

ZeroConfigExchange

ZeroConfigExchangeOnce (pushed via GPO per the article in my original post)

ZeroConfigExchangeOnceCompleted (shows up after I make additional profiles)My next thought was maybe the Completed key was missing so I've tried adding it via the GPO, no change in behaviour though.

I thought then that maybe it needs to be in the HKCU tree but not the Policies section, rather the part of the tree the user can modify: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover

I can modify that tree as a standard user so I made all three values there, rebooted but the same end result unfortunately.

I also found something new this morning when testing. In Outlook under File > Info > Account Settings there is a Manage Profiles option. When I clicked that I was prompted for my admin credentials and after entering those I was present with the same Outlook Profiles window that you get from the Mail applet in the Control Panel but this one did not show any profiles listed. My assumption is that because it was invoked using my admin credentials and we do not supply those accounts with email that's why there's no profile there but why would I need an admin account to access this one from within Outlook? I'm going to look into this one further today.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:19 PM
  • Hi Felkis,

Thanks for the feedback! I've been working with the Outlook Team and we were able to replicate this unexpected behavior in various configurations. We'll file it as a bug and hopefully it can be fixed soon. After all, support for it was recently added but doesn't work as expected.

The Manage Profiles option is indeed a new entrypoint to access your Mail Profile configuration. This makes it more discoverable on Windows 10 where the Control Panel is basically deprecated. It should not prompt for any admin credentials though. Can you replicate this issue on multiple computers? It works as expected for me on 1708 and 1806.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, June 4, 2018 1:23 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2018 6:35 PM
  • Hi Felkis,

I'm writing to see whether Roady's reply is helpful to you.

If the information above was helpful, could you please help mark it as answer so it will be easy for other forum members who might have similar issues to find the useful one?

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:40 AM
  • Update:
    It turns out it was a documentation issue. When using the ZeroConfigExchangeOnce key, you shouldn't use the ZeroConfigExchange key at all. If you do so, ZeroConfigExchange takes precedence and the ZeroConfigExchangeOnce key is basically ignored.

The support article you referred to in your post has been updated to make this clearer.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, July 23, 2018 1:06 AM
    Saturday, July 21, 2018 11:02 AM