Issue on Excel Launch RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have sequenced Microsoft Office 2010 application using App-v 5.0 and published on Windows 7 machine where Office 2007 application installed locally.

Both the localized and virtualized applications are working fine on a machine.

When I open RUN wizard and typing EXCEL command to launch the MS Excel application, It’s launching virtualized office 2010 application only. I want to make it to locally installed office application.

What can I do in this case, if I want to open localized office application through run wizard.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 12:48 PM

Answers

• The application opening in that manner is controlled through app paths. Fortunately App-V 5 makes them very easy. Open up your deployment XML, and look for the following:

<AppPaths Enabled="true">
            <Extensions>
              <Extension Category="AppV.AppPath">
                <AppPath>
                  <Name>javaws.exe</Name>
                  <ApplicationPath>[{ProgramFilesX86}]\Java\jre6\bin\javaws.exe</ApplicationPath>
                  <PATHEnvironmentVariablePrefix>[{ProgramFilesX86}]\Java\jre6\bin</PATHEnvironmentVariablePrefix>
                  <ApplicationId>[{ProgramFilesX86}]\Java\jre6\bin\javaws.exe</ApplicationId>
                </AppPath>
              </Extension>
            </Extensions>
          </AppPaths>

This snippet was taken from a Java package.  In the first line, change the true to a false to disable the app paths for the package, or you could delete just the sections you want.

App-V 5 publishes the app paths information onto the physical machines registry which is why doing a run for excel opens the virtual one (since it was put down last)

Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:48 PM